Echomap Ultra Thoughts

Gentlemen,

Looking at some different options to pick up livescope, looking for some feedback or thoughts.

Current setup: Lowrance HDS 12 at helm (SS, DI, 2D), HDS 9 at bow (2D and GPS only). Fish offshore mostly, deep clear blueback herring reservoirs, mostly spotted bass, 15-60 FOW. Idle a good bit, lots of casting to brush piles and schooling fish.

Options:

#1 leave existing, just buy an Ultra 10 w/ lvs12 to run at bow for panoptix (cheapest option, and I achieve what I want, but have to run 2 units at bow)

#2 get rid of lowrance, buy 2x Ultra 12s- 1 w/ GT45UHD for transom ducer, 1 w/ both GT45 and LSV12 for trolling motor. Big question here, is the 12 inch big enough to run gps/2d/livescope on 1 screen at same time? I dont really want to run 2 units at the bow if I dont have to... Will I want to run both 2d/DI and panoptix at the same time, or will panoptix cover me?

#3 buy 1 ultra 12 for helm and 2 ultra 10s at bow (1x panoptix 1x DI and GPS)- most costly, probably not going that route

I guess what it comes down to, is the Garmin SS/DI a big improvement over the HDS gen 3 w/ LSS2 ducer at the helm? Is it worth moving to all Garmins? Probably a ford vs chevy question...

2. Member
    The Garmin is much more user friendly than the HDS Gen 3. I have no regrets whatsoever replacing my Gen 3 unit.

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkarol24 View Post
    I guess what it comes down to, is the Garmin SS/DI a big improvement over the HDS gen 3 w/ LSS2 ducer at the helm? Is it worth moving to all Garmins? Probably a ford vs chevy question...
    Comparing against the LSS 2, yes, IMO i think Garmin is better. Like above, i left Lowrance (Gen 2 & Gen3) when the Echomap Plus units came out. No regrets on my end either.....If you cant do it all at one time, do it a little. Maybe try #1 first to see how you like the Garmin unit and decide after while of use.

Ford/Chevy?? Yes, ask the same question on Low and they will all like Low units.....just the way it is for ANYTHING.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    FWIW I have almost the same setup as you, but slightly older. HDS12 Gen2T console, 9G2T bow. I decided to get an Ultra 102 with the LVS in addition to the HDS9 for the time being. If I decide I want to do all Garmin, I'll add an Ultra 122 at the console.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

5. Member
    You might think about LVS32. I have both LVS12 and LVS32. The LVS is much better. I use the LVS12 on a small boat that I have that does not have room for the GLS10.