Falcon in the Spring

Question guys, I'm looking at taking my son who graduates high school this spring to Falcon last week of March down from Nebraska. We'll probably hire a guide for at least a day, and spend the rest of the week getting ourselves around and fishing. Is there a good reason to consider Amistad or another lake in the area over Falcon? From what I've seen and read, it looks like the type of fishing we like and has opportunity for good fish. Otherwise we may go to Rayburn, but the southern border fishing is looking pretty interesting right now.

Thanks for any input.
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

2. Member
    Falcon will be windy that time of year, but Raybun will be packed. Rayburn has been pounded hard lately and its even worse in the spring. I would pick Falcon as you have a way better chance of catching some quality fish. We always stay at Oso Blanco and have never had any issues there.
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

Falcon might be good if it has any water in it. Personally, I'd rather be on Choke Canyon, so that's where I'll be this spring.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

4. Banned
    If Choke doesn’t catch any water, don’t go there! It already fishes small, be even worse if it drops more.

As mentioned above, you’ll need a decent sized boat for the Falcon winds. Spawns over at Falcon, if that’s what you’re after.

Amistad is a bit more protected, but can be really rough too, spawn should be going then.

I have a Ranger 520vx and have run water from Erie to Okeechobee, and I appreciate the tip there. I wasn't sure how protected or not Falcon is. We're just trying to figure out a good place to go south for some memorable bass fishing for his graduation trip. We kind of eliminated Guntersville and Chickamauga already so were focusing on south Texas now.
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF

For March, my choice would be Fork. Like any lake in the area, it will be heavily weather dependent. Might be 75 and sunny, might be 40 and blowing 40. I have seen both on Fork in March. However, if you want to fish this spawn, that’s a good time to be there.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

7. Banned
    Falcon runs North to South and it’s not protected at all, a cold front is a mofo there. You might plan on going to Amistad for a couple days, then dropping down to Falcon if the weather looks nice. These towns are dump holes (Del Rio is better), so lower your standards, just a warning.

Late March at Falcon is pretty much summer fishing patterns, so if you are thinking spawn, it would be over by then in a typical year

9. Member
    you might put O H Ivie on the wish list as well, not quite as far.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerFish View Post
    Question guys, I'm looking at taking my son who graduates high school this spring to Falcon last week of March down from Nebraska. We'll probably hire a guide for at least a day, and spend the rest of the week getting ourselves around and fishing. Is there a good reason to consider Amistad or another lake in the area over Falcon? From what I've seen and read, it looks like the type of fishing we like and has opportunity for good fish. Otherwise we may go to Rayburn, but the southern border fishing is looking pretty interesting right now.

Thanks for any input.
    My .02 and to answer your question is no, there is no good reason to consider Amistad or another lake in the area over Falcon. I obviously do not know what the water level will be then and that will contribute a bit to navigation and fishing. There are a fair number of full time guides there and it seems one or two of them are always on some big fish. I have taken a ton of 7 hour one way trips down there in the last 12 years and haven't regretted a single one. I have caught three double digits there myself, had three others caught in my boat (one this past January), and too many 8s and 9s to count. My last trip I took my junior in high school there with my tournament partner this past January for three days. Buddy caught a 9.8 on Day one, 10.4 on day two and on day three my son had on the biggest fish I have ever seen (by a big margin) until it came unbuttoned a few yards from the boat. Is that a normal trip? Nope. But it is what can happen on that lake.
    2014 920/SHO

Thanks for all the feedback guys... We have some decisions to make...
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF

12. Member
    Im with Tom, Falcon would still be my first choice, and all the others a far second. Any cast on Falcon has the potential to be a DD fish.
    Jimmy
    Phoenix 721
    12" Bobs Hydro Plate
    Mercury 300 Xs
    Dave Bush Racing Kit
    28.5 Bravo

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jav400SDC View Post
    Im with Tom, Falcon would still be my first choice, and all the others a far second. Any cast on Falcon has the potential to be a DD fish.
    Telling ya, I was sick for my kid. I've seen three true sharelunkers with my own eyes and the one he lost was bigger. Big fat azz girl surfaced and wallowed back and forth on the surface about 20 feet from the boat as she spit the trig. Broke my heart. He's asked me to go back about a hundred times since January. We will make a couple trips in October and November as those are my favorite months there. If you can dodge the cold front winds the big girl cranking bite is always there somewhere.
    2014 920/SHO

14. Member
    If I was looking for a memorable fishing trip south, I'd go to El Salto.... get him a DD fish and a few Senoritas.

15. Member
    First time I took my son to Falcon he was 12 and he caught 3 over 6 in the first 30 minutes we were on the water. Zapata is a dump, the lake is not pretty, it's a long drive, water is 40' low, there are gill nets all over the Mexican side that love to take your crankbaits, and running the lake is sketchy, all that being said, it's worth the trip. Some great guides on the lake and James at Falcon Lake Tackle always knows what they are biting on and posts a fishing report on his website. If you are looking for a bass fishing adventure that's where you want to go.

16. Member
    I fish Amistad quite a bit since my in-laws live there. Been to Falcon a few times but have to say its 100x better then Amistad.

17. Member
    I would be on Falcon any day I could fish it period. There are some places to get out of the wind, but getting to those places are tricky but doable. Have fun and catch a big one!!!