Constant Struggle

About 18 months ago was in the process of slimming down. Went from 325 down to 270. Exercise and diet proved to be a winning combination. Was up to 6 miles a day ( walking ) when my body was wracked with pain. Tried to cowboy it out but no go pain was too intense.

Exercise was too difficult. Several months of medical team guessing as to what my ailment was. Was prescribed a medicine ( prednisone ) that caused me to want to eat constantly. Ballooned back up to 350 and was totally miserable. Finally got into see a rheumatoligist. Eureka I have rhemutoid arthritis. Again tried several medications with very little affect. Finally Dr prescribed Humira.

Felt great relief as to the pain and was able to start moving again. Started the diet and exercise routine again and am down to 279 presently. I want to get down to 200 even. Which I hope to accomplish by spring of 2021.

Reason I am posting this. I am 6-0 and soon to be 73 years of age. Back up to 4-5 miles a day and 1500 calorie a day diet. So don't let age discourage anyone from slimming down. Eat pretty much what ever I desire just limit the amount. It is not easy but the rewards are great. Remember to take it slow at first. Be honest with yourself and don't over do it.

If you are a senior and on Medicare. Investigate the Silver Sneaker program. Which will provide a free membership in a health club. Use the club when weather prevents outdoor exercise. Good luck to all.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

2. Member
    Congratulations on your success.
    I quit smoking and gained a lot of weight. Since then I've lost 50# and have kept it off.
    Big thing is it's a change of life style but the rewards are worth it. Most people need to realize the weight didn't go on overnight and it's not going to come off over night either.
    This past spring was the 1st time in probably 20 years when my doc didn't tell me I should loose a few pounds. He actually told me my BMI was perfect.
    Again, Good Job Hays!!!!!!!!!!

3. Member
    Prednisone is bad stuff.

4. Member
    Most people don't use the Silver Sneakers benefit. Our local YMCA stopped accepting it this year, but there are several other local gyms that still accept it.

Good job hanging in there and getting the weight off!!

5. Member
    Congratulations!! Keep up the good work!! You are right, the "move more and eat less" plan is the best way to do it. Since this time last year I am down 18 pounds from 188 to 170. My wife is down 35 pounds, wants to lose another 25. We have been using Silver Sneakers on-line stuff. There is a bunch of it on YouTube for free. Makes it easy to mix things up. Helps to set both long term and short term goals for yourself and to celebrate when you achieve them, but not with food!
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

Great work. My congratulations. Keep doing it and you will achieve everything you want!

7. Member
    Ease the craving tip.... Read some books. Keeps the hands busy. Take you mind off of craving. Tom clancy, start at hunt for red october and go from there. ( I would suggest read without remorse after red october, It puts stuff all together when you get to later books!) I found weight loss better with books, not tv or computers.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

8. Member
    Just remember, losing weight isn't even the hard part, it's keeping it off once you have lost it that is hard! I didn't lose the weight "for good" until I stopped the caloric deficit every 5-10 pounds and ate at maintenance for a few months. It took forever dieting this way, but it kept the pounds off for good. I think most people shoot themselves in the foot by being impatient and running too steep of a deficit. You need to use the right tool for the job. There is no sense using a shop press if an arbor press will do the trick. Likewise, there is no point running a 1000 calories deficit and breaking your body if a 300-500 deficit will do the trick.
    Last edited by KarlieBoe; 04-19-2021 at 11:58 AM.

9. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    If you cook look at the south beach diet
    its absolutely the best meals and deserts you will ever eat, after about 6 weeks you won’t even know your on a diet, and believe me the weight will fall off

10. Member
    Diets dont work. Its a scientific fact. The only way to lose weight is eating less calories. That being said if you change what your eating you can plow the food in everyday to the point of busting and still eat less calories than you normally intake. Common sense and sensible eating is the key. I lost a little over 100lbs a couple years ago. I gained roughly 64 of it back being home from work and feeding my addiction of chocolate bars and pizza. I am now 3 weeks in to eating right and back down 18-20lbs already without excercise. To those that are trying, stay vigilant stick to a plan and watch for results!!!