ourflat

Having a Hoot of a Time

Having a hoot chasing down an intermittent no-start electrical issue on my Ranger. Initial no-start issue was fixed (so I thought) with replacing the starter solenoid. Everything worked fine until next morning. No-start once more but at least the starter kicked in but motor no spark to plugs. I replaced the kill switch in the 3000 Commander controller along with a new ignition switch. I discovered several connectors under the dash that were joined by a nut and screw that were loose so I soldered the wires together and added heat sink for insulation. I also pulled the 10 pin connector coming from the boat apart and cleaned all the pins and reassembled. Engine fired up and runs good so we’ll see what tomorrow morning brings. I noticed the guidance horn didn’t sound when the engine wasn’t getting any spark. According to the schematics in the repair manual there can’t be much more to troubleshoot in the ignition\ starting system or am I missing something? Boat and engine s/n below in my signature.

Cheers,

Frank

2. Member
    I had an older Basscat with a mystery electrical issue and founf a connector was corroded inside that hooked the information/control display to the motor. If I were you I'd ask a friend to come with you on their boat when making the test runs. Rowing a bass boat is almost impossible.

3. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I had an older Basscat with a mystery electrical issue and founf a connector was corroded inside that hooked the information/control display to the motor. If I were you I'd ask a friend to come with you on their boat when making the test runs. Rowing a bass boat is almost impossible.
    Agree with rowing a bass boat. I had to use the trolling boat to bring her back to the trailer!

Frank

4. ourflat
    She started on the 1st lick so if she starts again tomorrow morning then that’s a positive Trent towards some sort of reliability;then, time to go fishing again!

Frank

5. Member
    Test the Main Power Relay.

6. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Test the Main Power Relay.
    Will do!

7. ourflat
    Motor roared to life on the 1st spin. Time to go fishing!

Frank

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good job chasing through years of "stuff" that's crept up in that rig.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. ourflat
    Thanks Don, but it’s only as good as the next “starting attempt!” Until I repower I start the engine at the house to ensure she’ll start when I pull down to the lake. Once bitten; twice shy!

Frank