2005 vmax 2 stroke 150HP not shifting forward or reverse

I've been fishing all summer long with no issues and this is my first boat so I am pretty new with outboards. I went out this weekend and pulled my boat off the trailer. Motor started right up with no problems and I went to shift forward with the control and it felt limp. I then tried to shift into reverse and it felt limp as well.

I came home took the cowling off and i could move the shifter by hand in reverse but not forward till I used my foot to move the prop and it shifted forward. I thought something would be off on the control cable since it would not pull or push.

Does it sound like i need to replace the control cable or do i have an issue in my lower unit? Is there something I should try to do? Just trying to figure it out before i have to take it in?

Thanks

2. Member
    If it goes into gear on the trailer, then it should go into gear on the water. Needing to turn the prop to make it go into gear is expected. Turning the prop basically aligns 2 teeth so that it will let the lower unit go into gear, just as a spinning drive shaft does when the motor is started, and in neutral.

If you are manually moving the shift linkage under the cowling with the linkage still hooked to your shifter at the helm, then you need a new cable. Another test is to have your wife put it into gear in the driveway, and you stand back and watch the motion in the cowling. If she moves, but nothing under the hood moves, then it is for sure a broken cable.