Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dogfish_Jones

7 round pin for Surge brakes(Chevy Silverado)

I have a 2020 Chevy Silverado. It has the 7 pin on the truck. I also have a round 7 pin on my trailer. What is happening when I back up the surge brakes always lock up. The trailer is a 2020 model also.
    I have tested all my connections and they have power. All the fuses are good.
    Ive been reading and here is my question to see if I’m right or wrong.
    Do I need to take the blue wire from the trailer plug and put it on the center pole hookup which is suppose the be the backup lights. This will give me power when I put it in reverse to activate the solenoid on the trailer to keep it from locking up?
    The blue wire is for electric brakes but I have surge brakes.
    Thanks I’ll advance.

This pic gives the wire connections at the truck and at the trailer for the various trailer plugs. You want to connect the brake release solenoid to the backup lights so it is energized when the truck is in reverse.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    I have a 2020 Chevy Silverado. .............................................
    Do I need to take the blue wire from the trailer plug and put it on the center pole hookup which is suppose the be the backup lights. This will give me power when I put it in reverse to activate the solenoid on the trailer to keep it from locking up?
    The blue wire is for electric brakes but I have surge brakes.
    Thanks I’ll advance.
    Sure looks that way to me. If the trailer plug cover comes off do it and see. Seems odd nobody else has run into this issue.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Sure looks that way to me. If the trailer plug cover comes off do it and see. Seems odd nobody else has run into this issue.
    People don’t run into that because that’s not how trucks are wired. They are wired like this https://www.ajtnt.com/Info/7-Way-Diagram with backup lights on the center pin. If the trailer solenoid wire isn’t on the center pin, somebody messed up.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    People don’t run into that because that’s not how trucks are wired. They are wired like this https://www.ajtnt.com/Info/7-Way-Diagram with backup lights on the center pin. If the trailer solenoid wire isn’t on the center pin, somebody messed up.
    The trailer plug has nothing hooked up to the center plug. I do have the blue wire but it is hooked up to match the blue reception on the truck. The plug from the trailer has five wires, hooked into a 7 pin. Everything works on the trailer, lights and blinkers just nothing to engage the solenoid.
    What color wire on the trailer plug will put power to the solenoid?

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The trailer plug has nothing hooked up to the center plug. I do have the blue wire but it is hooked up to match the blue reception on the truck. The plug from the trailer has five wires, hooked into a 7 pin. Everything works on the trailer, lights and blinkers just nothing to engage the solenoid.
    What color wire on the trailer plug will put power to the solenoid?
    Hard to say. Apparently Nitro doesn’t understand the prevalent wiring standard.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Hard to say. Apparently Nitro doesn’t understand the prevalent wiring standard.
    I agree...lol
    Is there a way I can use a jumper wire? They key thing is I need to know what wire will control the solenoid.
    Looking through some threads here, it seems Nitro blue wire is the solenoid wire.
    Last edited by Dogfish_Jones; 09-17-2020 at 10:44 AM.

8. Banned
    There is No reason for you to have blue to blue. In fact way it is now STOMP on brakes,,, guess what ? your solenoid gets activated and your trailer brakes dont work.
    Way you have it now it is locking when you back up due to no voltage to solenoid,, but even worse it is NOT locking when you hit the brakes, because you are energizing the solenoid.
    If this is a new boat ? It would be back at Nitro telling them to fix their screwup.

The blue wire on the trailer is the correct wire to energize the reverse lockout solenoid. Whether or not you have backup lights on your trailer the blue wire should be in the wiring harness and already be hooked to the solenoid.
    If your truck is wired in this way, the blue wire should be hooked to the center pin as you suggested.
    It seems that the trailer plug is wired wrong.

10. Dogfish_Jones
    Mine is wired just like the picture above with one difference. From the trailer I have no purple wire.

You won’t have a purple wire on your trailer. Your blue wire goes where the purple one is on the plugin.

Do you have back-up lights on the trailer ? If so, then check and see what color wires you have on the trailer plug. You should have Brown (Pos), White or Black (Neg), Green (Rt Turn), Yellow (Left Turn), Blue or Purple (Back-Up Light). Try connecting the Blue or Purple to the center pin. then try backing up.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

13. Dogfish_Jones
    No, I do not have backup lights on the trailer. What I am going to do is take the blue wire loose from where it is on my trailer plug and hook it up to the center pin. From what I’m reading and maybe understanding this then will send power to the solenoid for my surge brakes to not lock up. Then center pin then will be active when I put it in reverse.

14. Member
    No, I do not have backup lights on the trailer. What I am going to do is take the blue wire loose from where it is on my trailer plug and hook it up to the center pin. From what I’m reading and maybe understanding this then will send power to the solenoid for my surge brakes to not lock up. Then center pin then will be active when I put it in reverse.
    True. I have seen the blue wire hooked to the wrong place on the trailer plug simply because some people reason (incorrectly) that blue goes to blue. Hook that baby to the center pin and go in peace.

15. Member
    I have a similar set up as Dogfish and the same problem. I can not back uphill without the surge brakes locking up. The difference is I have a 5 flat connector from 2020 Xpress X19 Backtrack trailer going into a 7 round adapter on 2018 GMC truck. Am very interested to see if Dogfish has found his solution.

16. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkillIL View Post
    I have a similar set up as Dogfish and the same problem. I can not back uphill without the surge brakes locking up. The difference is I have a 5 flat connector from 2020 Xpress X19 Backtrack trailer going into a 7 round adapter on 2018 GMC truck. Am very interested to see if Dogfish has found his solution.
    Yes and no. I just bought a new 2020 Silverado and after doing a lot of checking on the wiring and power, it seems that the center pin on the truck side is not getting power. No matter what wire is there no power is being produced to energize the center pin on the truck. I took it to the dealership and they are having to order a new module that switches the power to that pin. Of course it is back ordered and they have no idea as to when it will come in. What I have done is put a bolt with a lock nut in my pin on the trailer to keep the hitch from shifting into the locking position.
    But, no matter what, the trailer wiring did not have the blue wire hooked up to the center pin going into the truck hookup, that I have fixed. Just waiting on the module to be installed on the truck to test it out and hopefully everything works correctly then.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkillIL View Post
    Sounds like your truck may be missing the same module as Dogfish’s. I would get a test light or VOlt meter and check for Presence of voltage between the center post and ground with the truck in reverse. The pic in post #9 will help you identify the ground connection.

There is an underhood fuse panel fuse for trailer b/u lights. It is a separate fuse from your normal backup lights. It will probably look something like this. This is a diagram of a previous Chevrolet underhood panel.

Chevrolet Under-Hood Fuse Panel TRLR BU.jpg

19. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Larry View Post
    There is an underhood fuse panel fuse for trailer b/u lights. It is a separate fuse from your normal backup lights. It will probably look something like this. This is a diagram of a previous Chevrolet underhood panel.

Chevrolet Under-Hood Fuse Panel TRLR BU.jpg
    I checked the fuse box under the hood, this looks way different than what is under the hood of mine. I also have fuse boxes on both side of the console when you open both front doors.
    I also looked at my owners manual in the fuse section and looked over all the diagrams in there just making sure I was covering everything. Then to have the Chevrolet dealership pretty much come back with the same conclusion.....mind you I am more iffy of the dealership than anything, most times those guys are just a replace the part type people. Not really digging in and finding the true cause of the problem.
    Being this is a 20202 model I'm sure they have not seen a lot of them come in, in fact they told me they have never had this problem before....but then again I'm sure we all have heard that too.
    The center pin is showing it is grounded on the truck, but when you put it in reverse it shows that no power is being sent to that pin. I'll wait until the dealership gets that module in and they put it on and then I can test it and see if that works. But at least it did make make me change the blue wire from the trailer side from blue to blue on the hookup to now the blue wire to the center pin.

20. Member
    But at least it did make make me change the blue wire from the trailer side from blue to blue on the hookup to now the blue wire to the center pin.
    What was connected to the center pin on the trailer plug before?

Was it just an empty terminal on the trailer plug?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast