Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    What was connected to the center pin on the trailer plug before?

Was it just an empty terminal on the trailer plug?
    Nothing on the trailer plug.

So, if I follow the thread, the OP has changed the trailer plug AND is working to resolve the center pin power issue. If it were me, I'd only change one thing at at time. I'd figure out and resolve the issues with the truck not sending power to the center pin first and see if that fixes the issue. There was a mention of a fuse and that is always my first suspect. If you haven't already, find the trailer reverse light fuse and verify it is good. In reality, the dealer should have done that as step one when you took it to them. It put the trailer plug back to original condition and test. Do you have a friend with a truck that could hook up and see if it works for them? If it does, it would verify that the trailer is not the issue and you could stop looking in that direction.

I'd be surprised to learn the trailer was wired wrong. Surely they are not all wrong because we'd be hearing about it. I suspect Nitro gets those harness prewired and the just attach them to the trailer. While mistake do happen and someone might have wired it up wrong or used the wrong harness, I'm not sure that would be my first assumption.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    But, no matter what, the trailer wiring did not have the blue wire hooked up to the center pin going into the truck hookup, that I have fixed. Just waiting on the module to be installed on the truck to test it out and hopefully everything works correctly then.
    Did you chase the blue wire on the trailer to see where it goes? If it does not go to the solenoid, then that's not your issue.

If it does go to your solenoid, then based on the above diagram, your trailer is wired wrong and take it to the dealer for resolution. There may be other issues you are not aware of in the wiring.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Banned
    2014 chevy,, same issue when I got my new boat home , couldnt back up. For whatever reason no power to the reverse light pin on the rear plug. Both the round and the flat 5 way.
    Oddly enough the round plug in my bed in the gooseneck hitch area worked fine. also bumper pull electric brake horse trailers worked fine.
    I do have an aftermarket truck bed, so chalked it up to a screw up by the installers or the aftermarket harness. But now thinking maybe not.
    Fuse was fine.
    I ended up just running a jumper from one of the back up lights over to the plug.

5. Dogfish_Jones
    I am having to wait until my dealership get that module put on which is suppose to produce power to the center pin. I will then hook up my boat and see if everything is working correctly. If not..... then it has to be in the trailer wiring.
    I'm leaning toward the trailer wiring, because my other truck was having the same problem too. It was a Ford so two different trucks but same outcome.
    Funny thing is the center pin on my brand new truck is not working...yes, the fuses are good.
    At the moment what I have done is put a bolt with a lock nut in my backup pin on my trailer. I hate doing it having no trailer brakes but I can't wait around for Chevrolet to ship a back-ordered part to the dealership. They even said they have no timetable as to when that part will become available, days, weeks, months...who knows right now.
    It's not bad to stop , but I know if I had to stop quickly the surge brakes would help out a lot. I just keep further away from anything in front of me. I have taken it out to other lakes since doing this and so far no problems. Next week I am heading to Guntersville to fish some and there are a few good hills to go down getting there.
    But, I did check after I moved the blue wire from the trailer to the center pin and I was still locking up going backwards.

OK, here's a link to the 2019 and 2020 fuse panels. Your trailer backup fuse is #54 or #55 on the under hood fuse panel diagram. Check it and let us know.
    Trailer parking (tail lights) #41
    Trailer stop/turn lamp left # 73
    Trailer stop/turn lamp right #81

https://fuse-box.info/chevrolet/chev...ne_compartment
    Last edited by Texas Larry; 09-27-2020 at 07:11 AM.

7. Dogfish_Jones
    My trailer backup light fuse is #55. That was the first thing I checked and it was good. All my other lights on my trailer works fine.

8. Member
    I would follow post #24 advice and tap into truck reverse lights for now.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    I am having to wait until my dealership get that module put on which is suppose to produce power to the center pin. I will then hook up my boat and see if everything is working correctly. If not..... then it has to be in the trailer wiring.
    I'm leaning toward the trailer wiring, because my other truck was having the same problem too. It was a Ford so two different trucks but same outcome.
    Funny thing is the center pin on my brand new truck is not working...yes, the fuses are good.
    At the moment what I have done is put a bolt with a lock nut in my backup pin on my trailer. I hate doing it having no trailer brakes but I can't wait around for Chevrolet to ship a back-ordered part to the dealership. They even said they have no timetable as to when that part will become available, days, weeks, months...who knows right now.
    It's not bad to stop , but I know if I had to stop quickly the surge brakes would help out a lot. I just keep further away from anything in front of me. I have taken it out to other lakes since doing this and so far no problems. Next week I am heading to Guntersville to fish some and there are a few good hills to go down getting there.
    But, I did check after I moved the blue wire from the trailer to the center pin and I was still locking up going backwards.
    Take the bolt out and use the pin, Pull the pin out when you hit the road, that way your brakes work. Get where you are going, get out put pin in, back down the ramp. GO park.
    That was my job when I was a kid. My grandfathers boat actually had a knob on top,,, you turned to put in reverse mode. Didnt use electric at all.
    Kids were also routinely used to do things like. Lock the hubs, open and close gates, turn the tv channel, adjust the antenna.
    Thats the problem these days, everything is gadgetfied, so kids just sit with their own gadgets and do nothing.

Simply enough to check with a Volt meter. One test can tell you whether its the truck or the boat.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

11. Dogfish_Jones
    Luckily my truck has a trailer driving mode, it helps with braking and I've not had any problems with the pin staying I the surge brake hole. I drove to Guntersville yesterday and fished some and there were some pretty big hills that I had to traverse and it wasn't a problem at all. Plus I also have a mode of driving down steep grades on my truck which helps with braking. These trucks are way smarter than me these days.

12. Dogfish_Jones
    ***update***
    The module came in for my truck at the Chevrolet dealership. I took it in and they installed it and programed it. I went home and took out my bolt and nut on my trailer that was keeping the surge brakes from engaging.
    Luckily I had a tournament the next day so I hooked it up took mt boat to get filled up and to test out everything hoping everything will now work right.
    It did, now I can back up and my surge brakes to not engage at all. I even backed up a small hill making sure that the power from my center pin on the truck was sending power and the moving my blue wire on my trailer plug from blue to blue to the center pin was now getting power to the solenoid on the trailer. Everything worked correctly and no issue with them locking up.
    So, two things were not working to begin with.
    1- the power module on my new truck was bad and not sending power from the center pin to the trailer plug. (Chevrolet did say this has been a problem with a few trucks and they have replaces a few modules in the last few months)
    2- The plug on my trailer was wired that the blue was matching the blue on the truck, the trailer blue need to be in the center pin position.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12