Two 7" Depth finders or one 9" on ranger rt178c

I currently have a 5" lowrance hook 2 flush mounted in the console. On the front I have a raymarine 9". The screen stops responding to touch once it gets warm. I was considering just buying a 9" unit to replace the raymarine. After looking around locally I found two 7" lowrance elite ti2's. I fish mostly crappie and bass out of my rt178c. I would like to catch some walleye but haven't figured out how just yet. Some other thoughts I've had is should I set myself up for live sight, 360 or panoptix. After seeing the 7" in person I thought maybe I could benefit from it now. The two 7" units would get me side imaging, networking and gps/charts all around.
    Please let me know what you think or what kind of setups you have.

2. Southern Cross Crappie
    I fish out of a Ranger 198p. I have a 7" in the dash and at the bow. My next step will probably be to sync them up. I've ran 2 units for as long as I can remember through several boats. It's not necessary to catch fish and have a good time but it sure does help!

Quote Originally Posted by jm_middleton View Post
    I currently have a 5" lowrance hook 2 flush mounted in the console. On the front I have a raymarine 9". The screen stops responding to touch once it gets warm. I was considering just buying a 9" unit to replace the raymarine. After looking around locally I found two 7" lowrance elite ti2's. I fish mostly crappie and bass out of my rt178c. I would like to catch some walleye but haven't figured out how just yet. Some other thoughts I've had is should I set myself up for live sight, 360 or panoptix. After seeing the 7" in person I thought maybe I could benefit from it now. The two 7" units would get me side imaging, networking and gps/charts all around.
    Please let me know what you think or what kind of setups you have.
    At a minimum the largest display model within your budget at the console and at the bow.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    If at all possible, I wouldn’t buy anything with less than a nine inch screen.

5. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    At a minimum the largest display model within your budget at the console and at the bow.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ <~~~~~THIS
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

I purchased a Garmin EchoPlus 93sv when it was on sale for the console. I liked it so much I purchased another one when it went on sale again the next year for the bow to replace two 7 inch screens. I also neworked the two 93sv's together, I am very happy with the current setup.

7. Member
    I have a 178 with a helix 7 up front and think it’s a little on the small side. I plan on getting a bigger unit in the future

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon396 View Post
    I have a 178 with a helix 7 up front and think it’s a little on the small side. I plan on getting a bigger unit in the future
    I have a Helix 9 up front and an older 898 at the console and the Helix has such a larger screen it just shows a lot more detail. Plus of course, the resolution of the Helix is better technology than the older 898.

I prefer a large screen on the bow, I have a 12 inch on bow and 9 inch on console. I tried two 9’s on the bow but did not like the clutter.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

10. Banned
    I run two 7" Birds up front. 1 for graph, 1 for gps. I think two dedicated 7's is as good as one 14" "split screened" to get graph & gps on it.
    bow graphs 2.jpg

11. Member
    I run 2 - 7" Helix G2N. Console is side image/Map and Bow is side image/down image. 7 is the largest I can mount into my console.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

12. Member
    I run a HDS7 in front and at the console. I had a HDS 12 and 7 at the console of my last boat hooked up to the same HDS 7 on this boat up front. I figured I spent all that money on the HDS12 to ride around and get frustrated finding fish that wouldn’t bite.

I have the E-locks at the front unit and the rear unit is in the dash. I hardly give hotel stays etc...a second thought. It seems no one is interested in the “cheaper” electronics. I moved to the tin boat for simplicity. Different strokes I guess. If you are going to spend the money get the best you can afford.

13. Member
    I have two HDS7s, one at the console and one at the bow. Both are networked.

I also have a couple of old iPads (like gen 1 and 2 iPad old). I put them in water proof cases and glued ball mounts to the cases. I connect them wirelessly to the HDS7s so I can mirror the screens.

So on the bow I can see the bow HDS screen and the console screen via iPad.

At the console I tend to run the navionics app on the iPad and use it for a larger scale map while on the HDS I run split screen map and depth.

It works, but I'm not going to lie, I lose a little spittle when I see dual 12 inch screens...

14. Member
    Thanks everyone. The elite ti2 was on sale at bass pro/cabelas. I went Sunday to pick up a 9". They sold out before I could make the two hour drive. I looked real hard at the hds live 7 and the garmin 93sv uhd. I ended up getting the garmin. I will more than likely purchase a garmin 73sv for the console if I like the 9" one.