Mercury - 4 beeps

Hi group -

I have a 2000 Mercury outboard 2 stroke. 225 HP. I recently have had another beeping sound pop up. 4 beeps about 2 mins apart. Normally I take it to the same shop to get it fixed but they were so slammed that I could not get it into them to have them look and would have taken a month or two wait. after some quick research online, it seems that this is either an oil problem or water in fuel problem. I took it into a different shop, they advised that it was an oil tank sensor/float issue so they replaced this piece. They claimed that it was working at the time i drove it off the lot. When I returned it to the lake, it started beeping immediately, before I could get it off the trailer. I took it out on the lake for a little bit, did not seem to have any performance issues. I then took it out again, no issues but beeping is still consistent. If i check the oil reserve tank, plenty of oil. if i check the engine oil tank, its full of oil. Therefor, I do not think its an oil problem. Has anyone run into this issue where there is water in the fuel? Could this simply be due to old fuel? Would you take it back to the same mechanic?

Cheers,
    Brandon

2. Member
    easy test/ turn key on let mtr set (not running ) if it starts beeping unplug sensor on filter =no more beep water = in fuel , yo mtr is a 3.0L try 2 sections down for mo info
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    oh yea you paid take it back for refund
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moved to correct forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    If that shop did not replace the entire tank, then you still have a sensor problem in the engine mounted oil tank. You cannot "fix" the sensor in a sustained manor. You most likely don't have water in the VST, you have a busted sensor in the engine mounted oil tank.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS