Evinrude 175 starting issue

Started out with intermittent episodes of starter spinning up but not turning motor over maybe 1-4 key turns would result in spin only then would start normally. Then it went to it won't engage even after alot of key turns.

Replaced starter - same thing, so I probably jumped to a conclusion too quickly.

Checked voltage at battery: 12.6 VDC, Checked at solenoid: 12.6 VDC

Checked at positive terminal at the + post at starter when cranking and got consistent 12.1 VDC and it stayed at that level entire time key was held in cranking position. Is that a normal voltage drop across the solenoid? I would think that should still be enough that it would spin up the starter. Any suggestions before I take off flywheel cover and pull the pinion shaft?

2. Member
    try a different battery. sometimes a damaged battery will still show 12.6 volts but have no cranking power.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Model number please?

4. Member
    E175GLETR

5. Banned
    that or hook up a jump booster to the cranker battery. Seems your problem gradually got worse. Could be a dying battery

6. Member
    You should get a real OEM service manual for this motor, great help for anything you would need to fix.