Question Is it possible to overheat Ultrex and/or Remote?

A few weeks ago I was fishing a tournament on a very hot day and I saw something on the remote I’ve never seen before

Now when I saw it I was curious and had planned to investigate but just then I hooked a fish and had fight it in plus do a cull and by the time I got back to fishing I forgot all about it till now

Top right on the remote screen (between the trolling motor battery meter and the time) I saw the word “TEMP” now there is nothing in the manual on this

Yes I know there is a TEMP on the left that shows the water temp but this was in a different location (See attached image)

Now I use the remote exclusively and have it strapped to my leg while sitting so it’s in direct sunlight all day

I was also fishing in a River with 2+ miles an hour current and sometimes have to run the Motor on max speed for several minutes to move back up to a spot

So I’m thinking it has to do with the temp of the motor, remote or trolling motor batteries

Has anyone ever seen this before and knows what it refers too?

Note: I didn’t see any performance issues with the motor then or after

Attachment 424462
    "The handicapped angler"

2. Member
    I believe I overheated my remote on a 95° day. I also got the temp, was lying in sunlight, and wouldn't respond, if it did was very flaky. Put it in my bag for a while and started acting correctly. I too couldn't find anything on it overheating. But then I wondered if the Temp was the water temperature??

3. Member
    Last year my Link remote would not turn on so I replaced the battery. I had the same problem about 2 months ago, replaced battery and still would not turn on so I had to buy a new remote. I also leave my remote out in the sun when ever I use it but I’m going to start protecting it from the sun, cannot be good for them. I know if you leave a cell phone out it will overheat and give you a warning, at least an I phone will. If you need a remote call Brian at BBG marine, best price I found!

Since I use the remote exclusively I went and bought a backup some time ago

I heard the stories about remotes overheating and have spent plenty of days out in blistering heat with the remote in direct sunlight (no choice)

This is the first time I’ve seen the “TEMP” warning or at least the first time I’ve noticed it

I guess I can put a towel over my leg when I’m on spotlock or autopilot but most of the time especially in the river I’m making minuet changes all the time

I just want to make sure its referring to the remote and not the motor
    "The handicapped angler"

5. Member
    Would the micro remote do what you want throughout the day, allowing you to keep the big remote stowed as your backup? I wouldn't think the micro remote would be as temperature sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    Would the micro remote do what you want throughout the day, allowing you to keep the big remote stowed as your backup? I wouldn't think the micro remote would be as temperature sensitive.
    I use many of the features the larger remote offers

Auto Pilot
    Cruse Control
    Go to spotlock
    Go to waypoint

Not to mention the spotlock, jog and rabit found on the small remote

I’m also use to the larger remote and can make adjustments without looking most of the time

Considering this is the first time I’ve seen the warning and the remote continued to function properly and I have another large remote as a backup I think I’m good
    I was more worried that the warning was referring to the motor getting hot
    "The handicapped angler"

7. Member
    I use my micro remote along with the on screen remote on my solix ( it has everything the link remote has). I rarely use the link remote.

8. Member
    I have the black and white remote, I've never seen the color display remote. I've fished in 110 degree temps and it's never turned off or had any kind of temperature warnings. My phones will turn off due to temperature, but the remote and Ultrex itself never have.
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

9. Member
    It has to do with the remotes screen getting too hot in the direct sunlight or from the electronics inside.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]