Thread: Trailer Axles?

Trailer Axles?

Do the Caymas (Benchmark) trailers have spring or torsion axles?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

2. Member
    Torsion

Groan.

4. Member
    What's wrong with torsion axles? I have always had spring axles so I don't know the issues.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by #1MagicStick View Post
    What's wrong with torsion axles? I have always had spring axles so I don't know the issues.
    Me too until I bought my Caymas. It's the best hauling boat trailer I've ever owned.

6. Member
    Agree trailering is very good

I've had two bass boats during the last 21 years. The first one I had for 12 years, it had a single spring axle, and I never even once had to be concerned about alignment problems or tire wear. The second one I've had for the last 8 years and I've had nothing but trouble with the torsion axles. What's missing from most of these problem posts on BBC is context. If you have a brand new boat that's maybe one year old because they've only been in the market for a year, yeah it's going to trailer great. I fish a lot and tend to keep my boats for quite awhile. I estimate that I put roughly 7-10K miles on my rig per year. I have had almost continuous problems with tires wearing out prematurely on my torsion axle trailer. A little research on the interweb has shown that torsion sag is a common problem with torsion axles. It shows up with tires that wear out on the inside half of the tread. It's a tandem axle and I've replaced the rear axle once and the front axle twice and I continue to have problems. Additionally, I've twice had my trailer to a very respected local trailer/truck/RV shop and been told point blank by the service manager that if there's any kind of alignment problem with a torsion axle, the only option is to replace it with a new one (a fairly expensive option!). I'm always shopping for the next boat and I got pretty excited after seeing what Caymas has to offer up until I found out what type of axles are on their trailers. Again, context is critical. If you buy a new boat every year or it's a garage queen or you fish 5 times a year, you're not likely to have problems.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    I've had two bass boats during the last 21 years. The first one I had for 12 years, it had a single spring axle, and I never even once had to be concerned about alignment problems or tire wear. The second one I've had for the last 8 years and I've had nothing but trouble with the torsion axles. What's missing from most of these problem posts on BBC is context. If you have a brand new boat that's maybe one year old because they've only been in the market for a year, yeah it's going to trailer great. I fish a lot and tend to keep my boats for quite awhile. I estimate that I put roughly 7-10K miles on my rig per year. I have had almost continuous problems with tires wearing out prematurely on my torsion axle trailer. A little research on the interweb has shown that torsion sag is a common problem with torsion axles. It shows up with tires that wear out on the inside half of the tread. It's a tandem axle and I've replaced the rear axle once and the front axle twice and I continue to have problems. Additionally, I've twice had my trailer to a very respected local trailer/truck/RV shop and been told point blank by the service manager that if there's any kind of alignment problem with a torsion axle, the only option is to replace it with a new one (a fairly expensive option!). I'm always shopping for the next boat and I got pretty excited after seeing what Caymas has to offer up until I found out what type of axles are on their trailers. Again, context is critical. If you buy a new boat every year or it's a garage queen or you fish 5 times a year, you're not likely to have problems.
    Thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by #1MagicStick View Post
    Thanks for the insight.
    No problem. Sorry, it no doubt came across as a rant. Just frustrated and tired of forking out the dough for new tires.

10. Member
    I've had mine (different brand) for 6 years with no problems at all. Two sets of tires, first set were crap and threw tread at about 2 1/2 years.