Ranger Trail Wheel Bearings?

Hello all,

I have a 96 391V with a duel axle Ranger trail, Iv'e been having excessive issues with wheel bearings going even though I re-pack every spring and replace every other year.

I am using Timken bearings, races and seals along with Lucas Oil Marine Grease, I'm not sure why I am wearing out bearings so quickly as I don't really travel that far nor often.

Up until now I have pretty much been using the standard dust cap, but I think water maybe getting in through the rear seal just a guess though.

Going forward I am thinking about switching to stainless steel bearing buddies or going with the new dust caps that Ranger sent me with the rubber insert in the middle that can be removed for access although I'm not sure what you really gain with the new ranger caps, which option do yo guys think I should choose?

Any tips in general?

How about the grease, a buddy of mine with a 522D mentioned the new Rangers went back to using grease but may use a lower viscosity grease for better penetration not sure of brand but I remember he mentioned something like this.

Anyway any thoughts, tips are much appreciated guys.

2. Member
    Any water inside? The axel may be grooved out or corroded causing rapid inner seal wear. https://www.timken.com/products/timk.../redi-sleeves/

3. Member
    Sounds like you are going above and beyond to keep things road worthy. The Lucas (blue grease) will be a milky gray blue if water intrusion is present. I like the blue grease it’s easy to identify a water intrusion issue. Are your axles/spindles original? Maybe the spindles are worn to the point the rear seals are not making a good seal? I doubt the Lucas Blue is a issue I’ve been running it for years with tons of miles. Hopefully some other guys will be of more help.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Any water inside? The axel may be grooved out or corroded causing rapid inner seal wear. https://www.timken.com/products/timk.../redi-sleeves/
    This is a great point! I do replace wear sleeves as needed. This may be the right solution.

Are you getting any play in the wheel ? Jack it up and see if you can move it back and forth. If you don't "set" the bearings and they become loose, they will wipe out easily. When tightening the castle nut, tighten it all the way down until you cant turn the wheel. Then back it off until the wheel rolls freely, then repeat it one more time. When it rolls freely again, give it a 1/4 turn tight. Now they should be set and ready to roll.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies so far guys, I am going to start this project tomorrow after work. I will inspect the grease to see if water is present etc. and post my findings. Good tip on the redi sleeve I will get the measurements for which I need tomorrow and inspect in case this is the cause.

Anyone have a preferred place of purchase for the Redi Sleeves? Can I maybe just order from Ranger?

Do you notice any pitting on your spindle?

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

8. Member
    I have a 82 375v Ranger. I changed wheel hubs from grease to the oil bath ones. I have a sight glass on my hub in the front which you can see the oil in wheel hub if water was getting in it because it will get a milky color. Make sure the seals are double lip ones and they are a 1/2" thick. Do not use 1/4 thick seals. They will leak. Also on use a 2 x 4 to put them in. I put some oil on the outer part of the seal and try to have the seals straight when you put them in. Be gentle starting them. Do not hit the seals with a hammer. Use the 2 x 4 and a plastic hammer. Make the seals even with hub. The sight gauge hub put some water proof chalking around the edge that does into your wheel hub. The seals was my problem where water got in.

9. Member
    you are using a double lip seal right ???

10. Member
    These are just a couple tips in general and may or may not help, but might help someone. I don’t claim to be a mechanic by any stretch but have changed the bearings in our 88 393 thank the Good Lord. I had a hard time finding the right parts locally so I ordered them from Ranger Parts and they fit fine. And if you don’t have one, I would highly recommend getting a race and seal driver set. It is unreal how much easier it was for me (thank you Lord) to set races and seals vs doing it any other way I tried. You can get them cheaply off Amazon or EBay and Harbor Freight has them too. I also bought a bearing packer and it did a lot better than I could do. Just a suggestion and I hope you get the issues worked out. I had a wheel start to come off on the way to Ky Lake on vacation one time many years ago with the family and thank God above it happened close to a tire shop who went the extra mile and got us going. That could have been a huge disaster on the interstate if it had come off. So those bearings are serious business.
    Last edited by fishn; 09-23-2020 at 09:20 PM.