2004 OX66 trim problem(200hp)

I’m trying to diagnose a problem I’m having with my trim. Sometimes my trim works and sometimes I can just hear what seems to be the motor turning but nothing happening. I tried adding fluid and removing some as well. It is now stuck in the up position with my safety latch holding it. I tried to get it off the safety latch earlier but it can’t come up high enough to get off now. I’m wanting to fix it myself but not sure where to start. Any input would be helpful as to what I need and where to order from. Thanks in advance

2. Member
    If it needed fluid, it has a leak and will need Diagnosed and fixed. Take out the Fill plug while it is on the support and add fluid as you are Running the motor up and see if it will finally catch and lift the rest of the way. Don’t do it very long if it won’t lift. You can Release the manual release and then lift it a little to get the app port down and it will drop. But if you do this and it won’t raise back up with the motor, it is very hard to get it raised again.

3. Member
    As Russ mentioned.If you have a motor lift place a 2" strap around the lower unit. Take the slack out of the strap raising lift just till it has tension. Release the safety lock. Using a flat head screw driver turn bleed screw counter clockwise enough to let air escape. The system needs to be bled of air. Lower lift slowly not to damage the trim piston ends. Closeness valve. Trim motor up with switch.you want the motor to raise on its own. Once it is trimmed up. Do the same process again. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE MOTOR SECURED ON A LIFT AND STRAP. IT CAN AND WILL CRUSH YOUR FINGERS AND HAND. Before you start the bleed process post some pictures of each of the two piston rod ends. I would guess the trim fluid is leaking around the piston rods. Or the main piston seal under motor next to the splashwell. I had a leak in port side of trim tilt piston seal. I replaced the seals and it still leaked. I tried that and it ended up purchasing Yamaha Oem tilt tube piston kit. The piston tubes wear and if they have a nicked edge they can cut the seal. The kit was about $280 shipped. It comes already assembled. Make sure to use a turkey baster or something to remove all the trim fluid. If it is leaking you possibly can have water in the tilt system.
    There is a post on Yamaha how to fix tilt trim system.

4. Member
    Ok so I added more fluid and didn’t seem to work. I just finish taking the motor off with it still connected I hit the switch and motor ran just fine. The shaft was spinning perfect. I put the motor back on and it went up and down a few times then stopped. Nothing again. Any ideas for what I described?

5. Member
    It really sounds like you are air locking your motor because of having low fluid. To get the right amount of fluid in her, you need to have it tilted out as far as it will go (or on the maintenance rest), then drop the bow to the ground (I even let the boat rest on the tongue, not the jack), and put fluid in it until it is spilling out of the hole. Ideally the tilt cylinder would be vertical, which normally means taking the whole unit off the motor bracket, but I did mine just as described, and it worked ok.

Then cap it, go all the way up and down a few times and repeat to purge air. Like others have mentioned above, if you are low on fluid, you need to fix the leak. It sucks being stranded without tilt/trim and then trying to load a boat is almost impossible.