Heading sensor pairing

So I was "told" that the updates would allow me to use the ultrex heading sensor with my g3n helix ...is that right? If so how do I pair them?
    2020 721 250 mercury 4 stroke

2. Member
    I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that still will not work.

3. Member
    Do you have a Link model Ultrex?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

4. Member
    Yes sir I do ..not sure if this info will help but I've got 3 g3n helix units and a mdi ultrex link that came on a 2020 phoenix

5. Member
    The capability to use the Ipilot Link as a GPS and Heading source was made possible by a software update on the Ultrex Controller (Ver 1.260) in Dec 2018. In order to use it; 1) must have a Heading Sensor paired to the Ultrex, and 2) TM must be deployed. You can select it on the Network Menu GPS Tab as a source as shown in the linked post below.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1081905
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

6. Member
    So I cant figure this out but would it make a difference if my ultrex is not a link? It's just an Ipilot version. I thought it was a link version when I started this...sorry and thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by Justin M View Post
    So I cant figure this out but would it make a difference if my ultrex is not a link? It's just an Ipilot version. I thought it was a link version when I started this...sorry and thanks for your help
    iPilot LINK is the ONLY way to use the Minnkota Heading Sensor and iPilot for GPS with a Helix or SOLIX. It's an Ethernet connection.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Sooo this might be a dumb question but when u say an ethernet connection what do u mean by that? The boat came from a dealership pre rigged with humminbird electronics and the ultrex so I just assumed it would all link up together. So I guess my question is is there a way to make it all work together ? For instance circling waypoints and following contours

9. Member
    If you only have a single Helix G3N model and a basic IPilot Ultrex, there would be no network capability. The ethernet connections and networking depends on how many units and accessories are being networked. You can use a single network cable between two units (unit and Link or unit to unit). If you have 3 or more devices, you need an Ethernet switch and ethernet cables from each unit/accessory connected to it. Follow-the-Contour can only be done with a Link Model TM because it requires a Humminbird unit with Lakemaster or Autochart mapping to initiate it from the Humminbird. Not certain without looking at the IPilot manual, but believe Circle mode is also limited to only the Link model TM.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

If the top of the motor doesn't have this, you don't have iPilot LINK which is the Ethernet connected version of iPilot.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL