Johnson 175 fast strike- time to overhaul/need help

Alright folks, i learned my lesson the hard way. I ran my Fast Strike out of oil. Aparently the alarms don't work. Heres what happened...
    I was out on the lake for a a day of fishing. Ran the motor several times within a few hours, on the last time i planed out and the engine stalled. Assuming the carbs were out of gas i primed it up and restarted the engine. Planed out and stalled again... restarted and the dreaded piston slap started.used my 9.9 kicker to get me back at that point. Got home, checked compression and found center starboard cylinder with 0 compression.. pulled both heads, and to my suprise the cylinders look mostly okay with the exception of the center starboard as expected. The piston is melted slightly around the edges and has a large amount of play. The cylinder wall is very rough all the way around and dry.

Why is only that cylinder dry and damaged?

I plan on tearing the engine down for a complete rebuild. Is there anything i should mark position for reassembly? Timing? Any good companies to get a kit from for a reaonable price? Ive found a few kits online from companies in the USA that i havent heard of.

Thanks for any help!

Model number J175GLERA
    1994 Stratos 219F
    Johnson Fast Strike 175

2. Member
    The center cylinder is not failed from a lack of oil. The other 2 cylinders prove this. As you describe it the failure is classic detonation from a lean condition starting in the carburetor.
    the oiling system VRO, mixes the gas and oil and then distributes that mixture evenly to all carburetors. A true no oil condition will fail all cylinders. This is why a no oil warning was not triggered.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html
    Last edited by ChampioNman; 09-16-2020 at 07:19 AM.

3. Member
    Great info. That helps my understanding of this engine greatly. Ive had the carbs apart once for the warped bowl issue, however i cant remember if i had the jets out. Could something have come loose internally and caused this?
    1994 Stratos 219F
    Johnson Fast Strike 175

4. Member
    sorry for your loss

i agree with big hare. take the carb apart and i suspect the truth will reveal itself.

5. Member
    Thanks for the X2. Does anybody know if there's a way to test the oil alarms anyhow?
    1994 Stratos 219F
    Johnson Fast Strike 175

6. Member
    You need to get the OEM service manual for your motor, no aftermarket manual is close to being any good.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos2191994 View Post
    Thanks for the X2. Does anybody know if there's a way to test the oil alarms anyhow?
    Separate the connectors for the VRO and Low oil on the motor. Connect a short jumper wire to the tan wires on the motor side turn the key to on and touch the jumper wire to a clean engine ground. The alarm will chirp. You can test all the alarm circuits on your motor this way but will have to cycle the key each time.

8. Member
    Ill give it a try tonight. Where can i locate an OEM manual?
    1994 Stratos 219F
    Johnson Fast Strike 175

9. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar