Four Stroke 2006 115 - Good Engine?

Can anyone tell me if this ( I know the info is vague) motor is a decent motor or should it be avoided. I'm considering a used boat with this four stroker which I have zero familiarity with.

I've always owned 2 stroke OB's and am hesitant to switch over. The 115 maybe small for a 19' center console to begin with, but the integrity of the motor itself is my biggest concern.
    I know Suzuki 4-strokes have a great reputation, but what about the Yammie??

Thank You,
    Bob

I have a 2011 and never had a problem. My buddy has one a few years older that has been similarly solid. These things overall have excellent reputations. May want to check the hours on it but I don't know when you're getting into a sketchy number there.

3. Member
    I’m new to Yammies . Is this a decent motor?
    silence sometimes makes me nervous.

is there always an hour meter?
    how can I trust the estimated hours if no meter?
    thanks..
    Bob

4. Member
    I’ve been running a 1996 F50 on a tin boat as of this day. The only problem I had was using ethanol fuel, big No, No. After having carbs rebuilt 2X haven’t had any problems!

21 XD 225 Merc

5. Member
    I have an 2006 F115 with 1511 hours. Great motor. Regular maintenance and frequent use keeps them happy. They like to run hard.

6. Member
    Had a 2000 F100 Yamaha for 11 years and then a 2012 F115 until I sold the boat 2 months ago and never an issue with either one. Don't know how many hours on either one but quite a few. Always used non ethanol gas and ran them often.

7. Member
    The Yamaha mechanic can check and determine the number of hours the engine has on it. They can also run a diagnostic check to see if any operating codes have been recorded. Depending on the code if any, you can see if repairs were properly done. I have a 2012 F150. Zero problems. I don't know how many hours are on the engine. I just change the oil/filter once a year. Also the lower unit fluid. The big blue 10 micron inline fuel filter I change every 2 years. I run ethanol fuel with Ring Free and Marine Stabil. Never any water in the fuel filter or fuel related issues. If a mechanic checked it out and gave it a thumbs up, I would not be afraid to buy it if the asking price was fair.

Also changing the oil and filter is easy peasy.

8. Member
    Thanks guys!
    Very appreciate the feedback!
    Bob

9. Member
    In my opinion that is Yamahas bullet proof motor. If you get the rig do yourself a favor and invest in a tilt-N-drain oil drain kit by Sewell innovations. I promise you’ll thank me later.

10. Member
    I bought a new F100 Yamaha 4 stroke in May 2001 and sold it in November 2011. During that time I changed the oil, filter, and lower unit fluid each year. Changed water pump impeller 2 times and 1 looked as good as the new one installed. No spark plugs or other maintenance in 10 1/2 years so I would say they are reliable.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support