Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Thanks Wayne. Will the way points with the S attached be stored or are they lost forever.

Quote Originally Posted by raack-a-holic View Post
    Thanks Wayne. Will the way points with the S attached be stored or are they lost forever.
    Waypoints are written to the unit's memory. The prefix is irrelevant. Could be WP, S, or R where the start of a RECORDing is.
    This screen shot has three S waypoints ( two of them are on top of each other at a renamed waypoint since I was taking snapshots of the subject location).

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Solix.

I have a Solix 10 at the helm and a Helix 9 at the bow. Power draw is the only negative I have on the Solix (vs the Helix).
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by raack-a-holic View Post
    Have not done any snapshot waypoints recently, but it used to be if you have Snapshot waypoints turned on with no memory card in the unit for the snapshot to be written to, you got a message of a S prefix waypoint created, but it is not. So those never existed to start with.
    Did you have a memory card in the unit for snapshot purposes?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Wayne. Earlier conversation on this thread leaves questions. Does the Solix or Helix share data when in standby?? Mine would/will not?

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Wayne. Earlier conversation on this thread leaves questions. Does the Solix or Helix share data when in standby?? Mine would/will not?
    When I connect a SOLIX SI first generation to a Helix DI third generation with the SOLIX set to share waypoints, they share waypoints in Standby. The unit in Standby will also be recording Current Track. Sooooo that means Standby turns off Sonar and the backlighting, but GPS still functions.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Yes i have a nav card in the unit

It does take a long time for a Solix to boot up. I am used to Garmin, Boot right up and Waypoint Management is waaaay easier on the Garmin.

9. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Solix is a slug, Helix is faster but I've yet to find anything (HB) even close to boot speed of the 787/797/798/688.
    SECONDS and it's ready - unfortunately they are old and have no processing power to chew through mapping.
    How about Garmin & their great imaging?
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    A Snapshot Waypoint will display a thumbnail image of the waypoint subject when you are at that waypoint. This is from a old unit as an example:

Briery Creek, I went there 2 yrs ago for a weekend trip and it’s a nice little lake. Fished it out of my kayak since I don’t have a 10hp or less boat but had an overall good day. I was mad I didn’t get a 2nd day out there due to some travel conflicts. Sure would like to go back again for sure.

11. Member
    Humminbird is coming out with their version of livescope/live sight. Supposed to be better than livescope, guess we will find out soon.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishFish View Post
    Humminbird is coming out with their version of livescope/live sight. Supposed to be better than livescope, guess we will find out soon.
    Been hearing rumors of this but we'll see soon if this happens now or later.

13. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    Solix is a slug, Helix is faster but I've yet to find anything (HB) even close to boot speed of the 787/797/798/688.
    SECONDS and it's ready - unfortunately they are old and have no processing power to chew through mapping.
    How about Garmin & their great imaging?
    I could care less about the boot speed of the Solix. I'm not sure why that should even be a considerations. You turn it on once when you get in the boat and then turn it off when you leave. The features are the determining factor. Like any product comparison, you will find people on both sides of the fence. For me, aside from the additional capabilities of the Solix over the Helix, I would be hard pressed to move away from touch screen so that rules out Helix... unless the new announcements add touch screen to the Helix.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

14. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar

Valid points Steve...

Helix G4 won't be touch.
    I fish offshore and it gets a little bumpy there, I'm not a bank beater and often am miles from looking at one Steve...
    Boot speed is a factor when you're starting up 3-4 units on a network and you've got to wait for IP addresses to be assigned and machines to come online. Add in the fact ANYTHING with a computer WILL occasionally require a reboot because of poorly written software and there's a good case for it.
    Touch screen is fine for many, but it's not one size fits all - just like buttons aren't for everyone.
    There's not a single computer in this household that uses a spindle drive for the OS, of 3 desktops and a few laptops. There are HDDs for mass storage, but SSD's for operating systems and I'll maintain boot speed is an issue with many folks just as I maintain our computers.
    Just like I don't use windows more than 99.978% of the time there's 4 different Linux distributions in use, unless you want to include Android 10 on a few phones - call it 5 then. I suppose boot speed isn't an issue for you on those devices either?
    Glad you like your Solix, I personally don't care for the excessive current draw, under powered processing (that's for more than just one brand or type) and slow screen response.
    I've got an Elite Ti for ice fishing that's quite a bit more responsive - but that takes quite a while to boot as well.
    And FWIW these machines run Linux as well.
    What works well for me obviously isn't what you want or require of your setup, I rarely even use downriggers because of my style of fishing and don't really care if they were controlled with anything but a handle or switch. Lake Michigan gives up salmon to people from economy based equipment to the millions of dollar rigs.
    The Apex or Solix would be of interest to you, Helix G4 probably won't have a better CPU (past history has shown this is the usual path) typically.

A Navionics regional sales rep I used to work with once said the OEMs need to put some real processing power into these machines so you can rip through a cards data & he's right.
    That little Elite Ti runs through mapping better than a Helix 5 or 7 and the original Hook series proved just how important processing power is (super slug), just like it affects boot time, sonar processing and mapping.

If JOI does indeed introduce a "live" type of sonar processing, it probably WILL require more CPU power, but jury's out on them having to license something from Garmin because I don't think they have a good working relationship with them after all the legal stuff that's gone on in the past 5 or so years.
    If I went new, it would be Helix in a HB brand, and I'd wager a dollar Mr. Purdum would also...
    Jus' sayin' ....
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

15. Member

this is gettin' good

16. Member
    That would be an easy bet....LOL Processing power has always been a topic in this forum since I've been around. Map processing can take a big chunk of processing power and not just limited to fish finders. Not sure why HB hasn't upped their processing capability for all models unless there's a pricing or a source problem. I would prefer the Helix or similar models. Guess maybe I'm one of the few that believe in keeping them simple to use...and yes I know there are others that can say the Solix or similar is just as simple...LOL But, that is sometimes a relative term to age and actual use of the units. Adding capabilities is usually indirectly proportional to reliability.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12