Ultrex foot pedal won’t turn left

This just happened on my last time out, never had an issue before. When I go to push my heel down on the foot pedal to turn the bow to the left/port side I get zero movement out of the foot pedal or trolling motor head. No issue pushing my toe down to move the boat to the right/starboard side.

The trolling motor obviously has power, and it’s not a cable issue as 1. I checked the cables in the foot pedal. 2. The head of the trolling motor rotates just fine manually, with the ipilot link remote, or when operated from my humminbird units.

so it’s narrowed down to just an electrical (or possibly mechanical) issue with the foot pedal itself. Again, it works completely normal when operated with the ipilot remote, just the foot pedal won’t steer to one side.

I have not reached out to minn Kota yet, figured I’d ask here first as I’m assuming someone else has certainly had and solved this issue before.

Thoughts?

Sounds like the Sensor Board in the foot peddle. These have a recall on them depending on how old it is.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

There are 2 small wires that run from the foot pedal to the head. One is white and one is black. One controls left and one controls right I just don’t remember which one does what. But check those wires. One of mine was cut and I couldn’t turn. I was able to diagnose it on the water and cut the wire and splice it back together. Mine was damaged under the small plastic clip where the cables meet the head unit. Next to the Allen screw for the mount.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Quote Originally Posted by Janderson45 View Post
    This just happened on my last time out, never had an issue before. When I go to push my heel down on the foot pedal to turn the bow to the left/port side I get zero movement out of the foot pedal or trolling motor head. No issue pushing my toe down to move the boat to the right/starboard side.

The trolling motor obviously has power, and it’s not a cable issue as 1. I checked the cables in the foot pedal. 2. The head of the trolling motor rotates just fine manually, with the ipilot link remote, or when operated from my humminbird units.

so it’s narrowed down to just an electrical (or possibly mechanical) issue with the foot pedal itself. Again, it works completely normal when operated with the ipilot remote, just the foot pedal won’t steer to one side.

I have not reached out to minn Kota yet, figured I’d ask here first as I’m assuming someone else has certainly had and solved this issue before.

Thoughts?
    I saw a ton about this in quick google searches, but that issue appears to predate my motor. I purchased my Ultrex in summer of 2018, and it appears most of those issues were in 2017 models? I suppose my model could still be that old, would have to check a serial number or something.

Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    There are 2 small wires that run from the foot pedal to the head. One is white and one is black. One controls left and one controls right I just don’t remember which one does what. But check those wires. One of mine was cut and I couldn’t turn. I was able to diagnose it on the water and cut the wire and splice it back together. Mine was damaged under the small plastic clip where the cables meet the head unit. Next to the Allen screw for the mount.
    Thanks - I’ll check this out and see if I find a similar issue.

I should have clarified. One of mine was cut and I couldn’t turn left but I could turn right.

MLF Invitationals Angler

Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    I should have clarified. One of mine was cut and I couldn’t turn left but I could turn right.
    I found them, and played with them (there’s quick disconnects?) and it seemed when i unplugged black I could no longer turn right either, so the white wire was my presumed issue. Now that I’ve messed with both wires I can’t turn the pedal either direction. ��

I found them, and played with them (there’s quick disconnects?) and it seemed when i unplugged black I could no longer turn right either, so the white wire was my presumed issue. Now that I’ve messed with both wires I can’t turn the pedal either direction. ��
    i guess I made your problem worse!!! Those are what I’m talking about though.

MLF Invitationals Angler

Guess I’m just calling Minn Kota in the morning. Seems like mine might be part of the “known issue” with the Ultrex foot pedals. Just surprised it took two seasons to rear it’s head?

Yours did exactly like mine. You can tell by looking at the steering sensor, the updated version the ribbon wires will be potted (incased) the original still has exposed ribbon wire.
    There was not a "recall" but the part has been updated and MK will replace if the part fails.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1081024

11. Member
    If your unit is a 2018 then it probably has the second updated sensor board. As stated above the new one is totally encapsulated. Your original problem you stated is a bad sensor board. 3 year warranty on Ultrex. The 2 wires going to the cable box near the pull rope are to turn the steer module left and right. The voltage is swapped in the control board to make it turn left and right. If your troll motor does not turn since you fiddled with it you may go back to the original problem. Does the troll motor turn with the remote? If it does not turn at all then get the sensor board replaced and the shop should be able to figure it out.

12. Member
    It takes both of those wires to turn the motor in either direction. Turning right, you have a hot and a ground, turning left, you still have a hot and ground, but it reverses which is which. Both wires have to be connected for it to turn either direction. Your problem is probably the steering sensor board. Does the remote turn it both directions. If so, definitely the steering sensor board, if not, then could be the steering module or the main control board.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Member
    I know this is an older post but I just had the same problem... like Zoolander it cant turn left!!!
    spot lock does work, right and left
    ipilot remote turns it right and left
    i can turn the TM head by hand but the pedal wont allow to turn left(counterclockwise)

is this a "shop has to fix it" type of thing or can I fix this??

The steering sensor is not hard to replace.
    May even be a how-too video on U tube.

15. Member
    John is still helping us out! RIP John
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    If your unit is a 2018 then it probably has the second updated sensor board. As stated above the new one is totally encapsulated. Your original problem you stated is a bad sensor board. 3 year warranty on Ultrex. The 2 wires going to the cable box near the pull rope are to turn the steer module left and right. The voltage is swapped in the control board to make it turn left and right. If your troll motor does not turn since you fiddled with it you may go back to the original problem. Does the troll motor turn with the remote? If it does not turn at all then get the sensor board replaced and the shop should be able to figure it out.
    Nope my 2019 was ribbon and is under warranty

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    Nope my 2019 was ribbon and is under warranty
    2018 had all of the ribbon exposed. 2019 had less ribbon exposed than the 2018. 2020 has an inch or so next to the sensors the rest is total epoxy.