Would like to add fuel sensor to Lowrance/nmea2000?

Any help or suggestions on parts etc..would be appreciated

Have 2013 Basscat P4 with tank under seats and 1 on passenger side

Thanks
    Basscat P4

2. Member
    What outboard engine?

3. Member
    Several ways to skin this cat, depending on the make/model/year of the engine and your Lowrance model.

If going the NMEA2000 route, the first task, whichever way you go, is to buy a NMEA2000 starter kit. Lowrance make them, as do others. They have all the bits needed to create the network backbone, which you install behind the dash.

Option 1. Showing traditional type of tank level but on the Lowrance screen - with NMEA2000 fuel tank sender units. So, provided your tanks already have electric tank sender units installed, you can connect them to a NMEA2000 network that your Lowrance unit (provided it has NMEA2000 connectivity - which model is it??) can then display on the screen.

Each tank will need a Lowrance Fluid Level sensor connected to its existing sender unit wires, one of these. https://www.lowrance.com/en-au/lowra...sor-fuel-0-pk/.

You then connect the Lowrance head unit and each of the fluid level sensors to the network backbone eg one such device to each network T piece. So for 3 tanks you would need 3 sensors, and your backbone would have 5 T’s - one each for the sensors, one for the Lowrance, and one for the network’s own operating power.

Option 2: If you have an engine that outputs data to a NMEA2000 network, you can use the Lowrance to calculate fuel used based on data it gets from the engine. So again, set up the network backbone, and then connect the engine and the Lowrance to the backbone. Configure the Lowrance to set the number of fuel tanks and total capacity. Hoe exactly you do the engine connection and tank arrangements depends on the make/model of your engine, they are all done differently.

Option 3: If your engine doesnt send data to the network you can add a Lowrance fuel flow sensor into the fuel line after the inline filter. Connect the other end of the sensor to the network, configure it in the Lowrance, and it will measure fuel used as it flows thru the line into the engine. It will then show you fuel used and fuel remaining.

So if you sant to proceed - need to know:

1. What model Lowrance you have (not all have the NMEA2000 capability to do this job)

2. what make, model and year your engine is.

3. if your fuel tanks have electric tank level sender units already installed that work.

4. Member
    My Ranger bassboat has twin tanks, and the factory wired both tanks to a switch. You check the level of either tank on a single fuel gauge, by using the switch. It has been ten years since I connected my NMEA 2000 network, and I can't remember exactly what I did, but if I remember correctly I only had to install one fluid level sensor after the switch, and it works on both tanks (one at a time).
    ciao,
    Marc

Thanks guys..apologize,

Abit more info..2013 Merc 200 PRO XS
    MODEL# 1200P73BD
    SERIAL #1B962352

Lowrance HDS LIVE 12"

Replaced standard MPH gauge with Smartcraft..when I did this the standard fuel gauge stopped working

Already have nmea2000 setup with point 1, hds lives, ghost etc..

Thanks for the help!
    Basscat P4

6. Member
    what Smartcraft, does it have any way to display fuel, if so you may just need the fuel sender harness to the motor.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Merc monitor level 1 kit

Would be nice to get the fuel level to display on hds lives..helpful when at the pumps fueling up

Basscat P4

8. Member
    I suggest asking Don over in the Merc forum. Its my understanding there is an optional wiring harness that goes from your tank level sender to a plug under the motor cowling, which will provide the data point to Smartcraft/Mercmonitor. Unfortunately the ECU in my 60hp does not support this feature, or I would have it working and able to provide first hand knowledge.

However just adding Mercmonitor should not have disabled your analog fuel gauge. Also it should be noted if you do go the route of the optional harness to connect the fuel level sender to Smartcraft it must be disconnected from the analog gauge, can not run it to both.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

9. Member
    Mercmonitor with the Fuel/Oil harness provides EXTREMELY accurate fuel levels. Mine is accurate to the gallon.....if it reads that I have one gallon left, then I only have one gallon in the tank. I verified this several times!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Mercmonitor with the Fuel/Oil harness provides EXTREMELY accurate fuel levels. Mine is accurate to the gallon.....if it reads that I have one gallon left, then I only have one gallon in the tank. I verified this several times!
    It will be as accurate as the sender in your tank (and how well it is calibrated, if your tank happens to have an irregular shape).
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Several ways to skin this cat, depending on the make/model/year of the engine and your Lowrance model.

If going the NMEA2000 route, the first task, whichever way you go, is to buy a NMEA2000 starter kit. Lowrance make them, as do others. They have all the bits needed to create the network backbone, which you install behind the dash.

Option 1. Showing traditional type of tank level but on the Lowrance screen - with NMEA2000 fuel tank sender units. So, provided your tanks already have electric tank sender units installed, you can connect them to a NMEA2000 network that your Lowrance unit (provided it has NMEA2000 connectivity - which model is it??) can then display on the screen.

Each tank will need a Lowrance Fluid Level sensor connected to its existing sender unit wires, one of these. https://www.lowrance.com/en-au/lowra...sor-fuel-0-pk/.

You then connect the Lowrance head unit and each of the fluid level sensors to the network backbone eg one such device to each network T piece. So for 3 tanks you would need 3 sensors, and your backbone would have 5 T’s - one each for the sensors, one for the Lowrance, and one for the network’s own operating power.

Option 2: If you have an engine that outputs data to a NMEA2000 network, you can use the Lowrance to calculate fuel used based on data it gets from the engine. So again, set up the network backbone, and then connect the engine and the Lowrance to the backbone. Configure the Lowrance to set the number of fuel tanks and total capacity. Hoe exactly you do the engine connection and tank arrangements depends on the make/model of your engine, they are all done differently.

Option 3: If your engine doesnt send data to the network you can add a Lowrance fuel flow sensor into the fuel line after the inline filter. Connect the other end of the sensor to the network, configure it in the Lowrance, and it will measure fuel used as it flows thru the line into the engine. It will then show you fuel used and fuel remaining.

So if you sant to proceed - need to know:

1. What model Lowrance you have (not all have the NMEA2000 capability to do this job)

2. what make, model and year your engine is.

3. if your fuel tanks have electric tank level sender units already installed that work.
    Researching this as well.. option 2 for vesselview, this https://www.amazon.com/Lowrance-Navi.../dp/B01B3LWHYG?
    2020 Phoenix 920 Elite | Merc 250 ProXS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    what Smartcraft, does it have any way to display fuel, if so you may just need the fuel sender harness to the motor.

I have a Bass Cat, It came wired from the factory with a smartcraft, I just added a NMEA T to my graphs and had fuel and everythign else on my graphs. Pretty sure it is just Like Marc M. says his Ranger is wired. One NMEA fuel sender after the switch on the A10 panel that toggles between tanks. I have one Fuel Gauge on my HDS and it displays which ever tank (left or right) that I have selected on the A10 panel.

Seem to recall that the gauge reads an average over a certain period of time. Supposed to keep the gauge from moving up and down as fuel sloshes round in the tank. For me it doesn't work to watch the fuel gauge rise as you pump in gas, there is too much of a lag between the fuel level and the gauge. Might want to check if that's a smartcraft or Lowrance thing and if its adjustable. I also get fuel on my smartcraft FWIW.

Soo.. with all this info, not sure what to purchase. Maybe I will just contact Basscat and/or Don.

Thanks for all the info
    Basscat P4

14. ZO6
    Quote Originally Posted by MRichard2016 View Post
    Soo.. with all this info, not sure what to purchase. Maybe I will just contact Basscat and/or Don.

Thanks for all the info
    If you already have a NMEA network all you need is the Lowrance fuel data manager. About $90.00. Plug and play. It works with Yamaha and Mercury for sure. On your Lowrance, go to fuel,set up tank size etc. it's pretty simple but takes a few steps. In my experience it's very accurate.
    Last edited by ZO6; 09-22-2020 at 10:08 PM.