Shuttering at takeoff

I have a 2018 ETEC G2 225. While down at Grand Lake last week I had a little issue with what I can describe as shuttering, engine has a shake to it while trying to get out of the hole. I bought new spark plugs and installed them figuring that would fix it. I fished a tournament last weekend and still have the same issue. Also lost about 10-12 miles off the top end. I have no codes for the engine I could not find anything online for suggestions. I have another 2 day day tournament this weekend and dealer could not get the boat in time still. Thought I would check here first maybe?

Thanks,
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

2. Banned
    compression?

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Did you index the plugs?? Just a guess without codes possible injector. But yes check compression.

4. Member
    I did not index the plugs I was under the impression from a previous post that the new spark plugs you did not have to do that? Is that not the case? I do not have a way to check compression.

Thanks
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

5. Member
    sounds like a miss in one cylinder??
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

My 2017 G2 did the exact same thing. No codes. Ended up being the VST. It was fixed under warranty.
    My boat is in the shop now because the trim quit working. The shop will have had it a month in a few days. Mechanic claims Evinrude is not getting back to him. He hates Evinrudes so I don't know if its him or if its Evinrude.
    Last edited by Fishfelon; 09-15-2020 at 11:26 PM.

7. Member
    I have a 2018 G2 225 HO. My boat has been down 4 months now. It's been at the dealer since July 9th. VST failed and steering module. Evinrude was not answering my dealer either which happens to be 5 1/2 hours away. They asked for two weeks for an update and got nothing until I called Evinrude with a case number. Evinrude responded within 24 hours and said order any necessary parts. The VST was on backorder with no eta. When I called Evinrude again to inquire about the backorder they said not only is the part on backorder It's obsolete. They gave me a new part number and said the dealer who is a platinum certified Evinrude dealer did not know about the revised part yet. When I called the dealer and told them about the new part number which was available they lost it. The only code I ever had was steering motor disconnected. The engine would run maybe but would take forever to start and the rpms bounced all over the place. Fast forward to today and dealer calls and says all the parts have been replaced but the trim motor is coming on and off sporadically and won't allow them to reprogram the parameters after the VST, vent kit, spark plug, and dms module change. They said the wires from the module to steering motor were extremely hot so now they have to replace the steering motor. I have video of my boat running on the hose. All of this with just 23 hours on the motor. Second time to the dealer.

8. Member
    I just left a Evinrude repair shop in my area. My dealer is 6-1/2 hrs away. Checked compression while I was there all cylinders good. Tech replaced all spark plugs and indexed them correctly still a miss on cylinder #4. The tech diagnose was a injector stuck open. They did not have the part in stock but at least it was not back ordered and shows arriving soon. The tech never mentioned anything about the VST to me. I was shocked that they asked me to hang around while they worked on it so they could ask questions. Even showed me around the engine and explained how to do certain things. I was very impressed with that.

Hope you all with the issues with the VST get your boats back soon that would be terrible.
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

For guys that are having issues with an occasional hard start or stalls or if you can smell gas when running the engine,
    one thing you can do is disconnect the vapor vent hose at the end furthest from the VST to see if it has gas in it. If it does, probably need to swap it out for the newer VSA.... or so I was told by my G2 tech.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

The mechanic called me today and said Evinrude finally got back to him. Evinrude said it needs a new bracket which includes all that steering mess. All that for a trim issue.
    If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have gotten the integrated steering. The motor would be fairly solid and almost bullet proof without that garbage.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeinMO View Post
    I did not index the plugs I was under the impression from a previous post that the new spark plugs you did not have to do that? Is that not the case? I do not have a way to check compression.

Thanks
    Sorry Lee, I read your post 3 times and kept seeing G1 don't know why but it happens. You're correct no indexing needed..

12. Member
    ChampioNman, I do not have a clue. The service tech who has the boat said you were correct. He said that they did need to be indexed on a G2 always? I do not know which is proper, I am not a mechanic but try to do some things myself when I can save a month or more wait at the shop.

Thanks,
    Lee Setser
    2022 Blazer 625
    2022 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS 12 Lives
    Lowrance Active Target

The cylinder heads of Evinrude ETEC G2 are manufactured with indexed spark plug threads. QC8WEPI spark plugs do not require indexing of the spark plug.

From page 3 of the service manual
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419