Replacing Lid rivets

All the rivets that hold my livewell lid to the hinge corroded and I need to get it re-attached. Should I just drill them out and go back in with rivets? Or should I drill them out and use some stainless nuts and bolts?
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

2. Member
    My boat lids are all attached with SS nuts/bolts. I would use which ever is easiest to install.

3. Member
    I've had to replace rivets on a couple of my compartment lid hinges. I just drilled out the old rivets and put in new ones. It was easy and quick to do and I figured if the old rivets lasted almost 20 years, the new ones should last a while too. That's what worked best for me, but either rivets or nuts/bolts will work fine.

I drilled out the rivets and used SS truss head (similar to pan head but a little lower profile and wider) sheet metal screws in my compartment lids. I just went with the smallest size I could get away with that would still bite, though they had to be bigger than I expected. I think I ended up with #14 x 1" for my old Ranger 481vs lids.

If push came to shove I'd go nuts and bolts, but the sheet metal screws have been holding up really well for me for at least 5 years now and are simpler to install. I did add a little glob of silicone to each hole to try to seal it up a bit to make sure there wasn't water intrusion that weakened the existing holes.

Last thing I should mention that's maybe relevant since they are lids you're dealing with: The only lids in my boat that I couldn't use the screws in were my livewell lids. I initially tried it, but the slightly larger profile of the screw head was too much on the relatively small/lightweight livewell lids. The lids wouldn't stay closed and the hinges were wanting to bend, so I had to go back to rivets on those. SS rivets did the trick...I'm pretty sure they were 1/4" x 3/4" rivets but I'm not positive.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    If you remove a rivet and the hole is too large for a new rivet -use JB weld and redrill.

I prefer SS nylocks where possible. At least on each end. I've had a few lids that rivets would get loose over time.

Drill out the old Rivets and replace with 1/4 x 1/2 Aluminum Rivets. You'll need to drill the hinge and the lid to 1/4". I used an Air Rivet Tool from Harbor Freight (about $50), but I've used it for other projects too. It really makes the job easier and sets the rivet the best.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. Member
    I wouls recommend S/S nuts and screws. At some point in time you are going to want to re-carpet the boat and you would have to drill rivets out.