L4 Verado advice

First time poster here. I am looking at used boats, a number of which have the L4 (175-200hp) Verado. Mainly from the 2012-2016 era. Are these well-regarded engines for the most part? Any particular issues a prospective buyer should be on the lookout for?

With this horsepower class now being part of the V6/V8 lineup, should there be any concern about long-term ownership/maintenance on the Verados?

Thanks.

I have a a 200 L4 on our bowrider. Have owned since 2017, been an excellent engine. Sips fuel when cruising and good power even on the tub its bolted to. Quiet and reliable, maintenance is super easy, and pretty cheap for the diy guy

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quite durable powerplants. Wouldn't expect to see any significant parts availability problems in the next 7 years, especially since many of the parts are shared with the L6 Verado.

As with anything used- be sure to get it checked out!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks, this is good to hear!