Spark plug failure

Iv'e got a 2000 225 Optimax, last week it developed a miss so i started looking for a fouled plug and found this. Any ideas why this would happen or just a bad plug?

Serial # 0T019521
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. ourflat
    Defective plug! The next question: where is the rest of your plug. I would use a borescope to see how your cylinder/ piston looks/ if any physical damage was done!

Frank

3. Member
    How long have those been in there?

High probability of detonation, needs to be checked for possible lean run condition, Compression test as well, Borescope the cylinder to check for piston or cylinder wall damage, I would not take it out till these things are checked
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Been in for a little over a year.

Hopefully, just a guess, could be a reed failure in that cylinder. That model used original metal reeds.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

7. Member
    Installed Carson reeds in June this year

8. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by Partimefisher View Post
    Installed Carson reeds in June this year
    Nice!

Frank

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Normally only see this type of damage with one of the following:

-Improper gapping technique (cracked the porcelain while gapping)

-Plugs run in excess of the 100 hour mark (quite common at more than 120 hrs)

-Other components failed and cause interference.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    EuropeanAM,
    Improper gapping technique is possible I never though of that, when I put them in I had to open them up bit to get the right gap. I later read that they should be right out of the box with no gapping required, I don't know if I can believe that. I'm not sure of the hours but it's nowhere near a 100.
    thank you

Not true. My experience with every plug I've bought for the three different Opti's on my boat, is they are factory gapped around .027. See copied line from FAQ below regarding your Opti:

-IZFR5G (NGK)@ .032-.033" for Standard Opti's 135-225HP, 2001 200XS, and 200 ProXS PRIOR TO Serial Number#1B912786***

You can not gap with regular gapping tool because it will most likely remove the Iridium on the electrode.

BTW my first Opti on this boat was a 2000 225 Opti

EuropeanAM,
    Improper gapping technique is possible I never though of that, when I put them in I had to open them up bit to get the right gap. I later read that they should be right out of the box with no gapping required, I don't know if I can believe that. I'm not sure of the hours but it's nowhere near a 100.
    thank you

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

12. Member
    these plugs are NGK PZFR5F-11 and should gap at 0.040" according to the manual

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    these plugs are NGK PZFR5F-11 and should gap at 0.040" according to the manual
    Wrong plug... the recommended plug was changed many years ago (IZFR5G gapped at .032-.033").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    the manual lists it as an optional plug and that's what was in the motor when I got it. I have a set of the IZFR5G's going in his weekend.

Thank everyone for their help, it's had for a do it your self person to see a lot scenarios to learn from
    Last edited by Partimefisher; 09-16-2020 at 11:53 AM.