Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jig color thoughts

So in the quest to simplify my fishing I am thinking about culling down to all black living rubber jigs with the only difference being the chunk color of blue/black/GP/ watermelon. I have a few specialty colors that I will keep around for certain situations but other than that all black. If you think about it every color skirt that has been made is the "best" color in some situations, but you could literally try thousands of combinations to find the best. I am convinced if there is a hot jig bite you will at least get bit on black. On the other hand, I may tie a few brown to throw in the mix, at least get down to two choices. Thoughts?

If I had to go with only one color, it would be black and blue. But, I have seen times when the fish wanted green pumpkin. If you have those two colors, with matching trailers, you have all you need to 95% of bass fishing situations.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Banned
    Honestly I fish jigs 75% and I go with brown don’t get bit on black as often but I get bigger bites on black so it’s all a test really if your confidence is black buy black jigs but don’t count out other staple colors

I’m with Jeff. If I only had one color scheme to go with, it’d be black and blue. But, in certain conditions other colors have proven to be quite effective.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

5. Dogfish_Jones
    I mainly use a green pumpkin variation. Early spring I use a brown variation. In muddy water I will use black/blue.
    I will throw a variation of white/chartreuse but that’s out of desperation.
    Most of my green pumpkins are swim jigs, whereas my brown and blacks will be football headed jigs. My white ones are swim jigs
    (trying to imitate a shad)

6. Member
    i have done this way back when i started making jigs and made Black, brown and watermelon in round rubber then change out the trailer. the only thing i get creative with is a swim jig

I can't buy a bite on black and blue. For me green pumpkin or some sort of a watermelon variance gets the job done. I do understand simplifying things though.
    USMC Vet!

8. Member
    So would it be better to go with a black, and brown, and green? Three different base colors then change the trailers? You would end up with a possibility of ten or so combinations?

Black&blue or purple, PBJ, green pumpkin are about all I use. I keep a few light brown handy also.

I made these for the fly pole. My regular jig box is basic colors.

1BF0EB89-3736-4DDF-AC2F-BEAB800A2987.jpeg

10. Member
    90 % of the time im using brown /orange. Water gets dirty i will use black

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    If I had to go with only one color, it would be black and blue. But, I have seen times when the fish wanted green pumpkin. If you have those two colors, with matching trailers, you have all you need to 95% of bass fishing situations.
    Agree 100%, except my "only one color" is green pumpkin where I occasionally get bit better on black and blue (heavy algae blooms, muddy water). My other 5% is white which I find works well for fish that are super keyed on baitfish, usually in the fall when temps start down. Around here this is especially the case on the Mississippi River where we have shad.

I do sometimes find that adding accents to my green pumpkin jigs can make a difference, but no need to keep more jigs as it is easily done with a trailer. Most of the fish I target are bluegill eaters and many times a little flash of chartreuse can make a big difference, so I dye the tip of my trailer or use a trailer with some chartreuse in it otherwise. Other times I've noticed that adding some orange can be a big deal. The most common instance of that for me is fishing places with rusty crayfish that have a lot of orange in them, especially around the full moon. I've noted times where introducing the orange to the green pumpkin can make a big difference (Mille Lacs is a great example). Again, just using a trailer with orange or adding some orange dye to the trailer does the trick without having to keep more jigs.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

12. Member
    Black and blue and then green pumpkin varieties are i think the only 2 colors I use anymore. Both will work in clear water and both will work in stained color. Use matching, or close to matching trailers in different craw styles.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Agree 100%, except my "only one color" is green pumpkin where I occasionally get bit better on black and blue (heavy algae blooms, muddy water). My other 5% is white which I find works well for fish that are super keyed on baitfish, usually in the fall when temps start down. Around here this is especially the case on the Mississippi River where we have shad.

I do sometimes find that adding accents to my green pumpkin jigs can make a difference, but no need to keep more jigs as it is easily done with a trailer. Most of the fish I target are bluegill eaters and many times a little flash of chartreuse can make a big difference, so I dye the tip of my trailer or use a trailer with some chartreuse in it otherwise. Other times I've noticed that adding some orange can be a big deal. The most common instance of that for me is fishing places with rusty crayfish that have a lot of orange in them, especially around the full moon. I've noted times where introducing the orange to the green pumpkin can make a big difference (Mille Lacs is a great example). Again, just using a trailer with orange or adding some orange dye to the trailer does the trick without having to keep more jigs.
    Totally agree on the orange. Always dying tips with it, chartreuse or hot pink & one of those three colors will get more & bigger bites most times too.

14. Banned
    You only need 2 colors. black/blue and green pumpkin. You can get other colors by mixing and matching trailers....black/blue jig with green pumpkin trailer and tips highlighted orange. Green pumpking jig with blue trailer.....you get the idea.

15. Member
    This is why we all have 200#s of jigs!! You can carry 3 colors but we need 750 of them!!

16. Member
    I figure that almost everything on the bottom is black, brown, or olive green or some variation of those colors. I like the idea of carrying those three skirt colors and just adding other colors with the trailers.

I'm another green pumpkin guy, but with orange. Table Rock fish and Beaver lake fish feed primarily on either shad or craws. GP/orange is a pretty good craw imitator. Black/blue will work too, especially in the spring or early morning, evening or at night. The local smallmouth seem to like something with a little more color, as in a purple or plum trailer.

18. Member
    have brown/green with an orange accent tied on for the morning. Will used B!B or green from time to time.
    Red Sox in 6!

19. Member
    Solid black, green pumpkin, and brown are my top 3. I make a color I call "Undecided " which is a mixture of all 3.

Allen

I tie, and sold for years. I have a bench box full of "Pretty" silicon jigs. Boat box, mostly black or brown living rubber, trailer picks up the color options. I am convinced all you need is a black jig, living rubber comes alive just sitting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast