No water pressure

Is this something I can look at myself, or will it need to go to the shop? The engine is a 2017 SHO 250.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Of course you can do some diagnosis your self. Did this just start, or did you just discover it?

Do you have water coming out of the tell tale hole? If yes, your problem may be with the pressure gage and system. If no, then another level of problem. Could be as simple as plugged screens at the water intakes. Could be a water pump. If you aren't experienced at working on motors, may be shop time. I am assuming the motor is running with no alarms.

If yes, I would pull the hose off the back of the WP gage and see if water is coming out. Could be as simple as a pinched or broken hose. Have you done any work on the boat where you could have pinched the hose? If it's broken, you should see quite a bit of water in the bilge if it's getting that far. I'm not sure where the pressure hose connects on an SHO. If you don't have water at the gage, track the hose down to its connection to the motor. If you have water to the gage, probably a gage problem. I would assume it hasn't been frozen.

Never worked on the SHO, so not sure exactly how the thermostat works. Does it influence the water pressure indicated on the gage? Possible issue, but now we're getting deep.

If you have no water at the tell tale hole, very likely should go to shop IMHO.

3. Member
    I just noticed it today, and there is water coming out of the tell tale. I will check to see if water is reaching the gauge. If it isn't, I'll let the professionals handle it!
    Yamaha 250 SHO

The pic below is a sensor or transducer that should be in your bilge area or setback if you have a wired water pressure gauge. The tube from the motor is connected to the top and 2 electrical wires connected at the bottom go to the gauge on your dash. It will have 45 psi stamped on it.

Might need to blow out the line if you have an air compressor. Mine was clogged up where it connects to the sensor. Just disconnect both ends, one is under the cowling on the back of the (SHO) motor. Look for a brass fitting that has a black tube connected to it, the other end is connected to the top of the sensor. Wrap a towel or rag around the end going to the sensor, blow air from the other end at the motor.

Attached Thumbnails

I run the Yamaha digital sensor plug to my NEMA network to my HDS12. Got tired of fooling with the gauge. Most Yamaha mechanics will say " as long as it's peeing, it's OK" as Yamahas are not like Mercurys. Just can't bring my mind to accept that. Just use to the Mercs I guess.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    I run the Yamaha digital sensor plug to my NEMA network to my HDS12. Got tired of fooling with the gauge. Most Yamaha mechanics will say " as long as it's peeing, it's OK" as Yamahas are not like Mercurys. Just can't bring my mind to accept that. Just use to the Mercs I guess.
    I've got "some data" showing on my HDS12 such as engine hours, temp etc. The previous owner had it setup for that. Do you know how to go about looking into the HDS menu to see if water pressure is available?
    Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone357 View Post
    I've got "some data" showing on my HDS12 such as engine hours, temp etc. The previous owner had it setup for that. Do you know how to go about looking into the HDS menu to see if water pressure is available?
    You can get water pressure nut you have to buy a wp gauge. I think about 175.But it is worth it
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

I have mine reading on an overlay on my map. I also have it on my side scan so I know the WP when just moving around. Tharris811 is correct. You have to buy the WP sensor & connect it to the NEMA network. You can get the complete kit from SimsYamaha or even ebay. I have to agree also, it's worth it.