92 Johnson fast strike intermittent charging problems

I was taking off in 8ft of water and I bumped something with my skeg not doing any damage to the prop. Just a decent bump. Idled for a few yards then took on off. I noticed my tach wasn’t working but only ran about a mile. The tach would work at an idle and up to 1700 rpms and then just drop to nothing so I ran the boat for a while and noticed it wasn’t charging either. A few miles on down the lake I hit a decent wave from a pontoon boat and everything went back to working normal. Tach was good and back to charging Correctly. I ran a little while longer and no more problems. I came home and checked the voltage regulator and it looks brand new. This boat don’t have hardly any hours on it. I’m the second owner that I bought from my deacon at the church I pastor. Boat might have 100 hrs on it. He just never really used it and it stayed in his garage. I made sure of the connections from the stator to the regulator and unplugged and put diaelectric great on the plug. I checked the charge wire to the stator and it’s good and tight. I use the locking nuts on my battery’s so my connections are good there also. I’m hoping maybe the connection wasn’t great from the stator to the regulator but I’ve got to go run it some more to make sure it don’t stop working again. What y’all think. Regulator going bad or maybe just a fluke thing.

2. Member
    First dialectic grease is insulating so not good on the terminals.
    more suspicion goes to the terminals on the tachometer being loose. These are the gray wire, the black wire and the purple wire

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    First dialectic grease is insulating so not good on the terminals.
    more suspicion goes to the terminals on the tachometer being loose. These are the gray wire, the black wire and the purple wire
    It wasn’t charging either though. I’ve always used dialectic grease on plug wires and such for corrosive prevention.