189 Trx Problems continued

Last edited by T_Huff189; 09-27-2020 at 01:38 PM.

2. Member
    This is bad news, with the problems you’ve had I don’t blame you for losing your trust. My boat is a 2019, so far no problems but it’s quite bothersome to hear some of the things you’re experiencing. if I’m understanding the problem you’re experiencing, it could be something that can tie your boat up for quite some time. Prior I’ve never even heard any mention of a topcap to hull issue, seems I’ve heard about it multiple times on different threads recently. I hope this does not become anything common. Good luck to you

3. Banned
    Why not just pull all the sealant out, clean it up with acetone and reseal it with 3M 4200?

I know. It's a new boat, and you shouldn't have to deal with that. But, the truth is, most boats have nuances that you, the owner, have to deal with. Or, you can wait for the dealer and manufacturer to "get around to it".

Top cap seal has been an issue for years. It's not hard to fix yourself.

4. Member

5. Member
    You shouldn’t have to pull all sealant out and re seal a brand new boat. Tritontracker going down hill fast.
    2015 189 trx

6. Banned
    Not all the sealant. It's usually just a small spot below the rub rail that wasn't sealed properly.

I've written my novel of issues with my 18XS, my dealer and Triton a few times on this forum. My boat had issues from day 1. Literally, day 1, picked up from dealer, went to lake, graph wouldn't stay on and motor threw a low oil code. Took about a year to get everything ironed out. Still found dealer inflicted issues with wiring years later. But after that first year, getting things fixed, fixing a ton of things myself, my boat has been solid.

I think it's more rare to get a new boat with no issues.

7. Member

8. Member
    Seems like a trap shoot with all brands after reading other threads. Changing brands won’t guarantee no problems. There’s quite a few of us on here which basically have the same boat as you, with basically no problems. I do agree that when you buy a new boat, shouldn’t have these issues, and if you do they should be quickly taken care of by your dealer. Unfortunately in the world we live today, that’s rarely the case. From what I’ve read, Bass Cat seems to get the best reviews as far as dealer support. Have you thought about a Bass Cat? (If your changing) if I was unhappy with my boat, I would have a hard time keeping it regardless of the brand. good luck on whatever you do.

9. Member
    all boat manufacturers have issues the more boats they build the more chances for issues if bass cats were the best built boat in the market place they would be selling as many as ranger triton skeeter an the other big builders.

10. Member
    That’s not an accurate statement. Price, layout , dealer network, manufacturing capacity, marketing and more has a lot to do with sales numbers. Just because GM sells the most automobiles in America doesn’t mean they’re the best. (I have no clue if GM sells the most vehicles) just using it as a reference

11. Member
    According to your theory. Triton is the 4th best bass boat made? Behind Ranger, Nitro and Phoenix. I’m not saying they couldn’t be, just saying sales numbers only weigh so much when talking about quality

12. Member
    tough to reason with folks with their handle the same as the boat they have.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    all boat manufacturers have issues the more boats they build the more chances for issues if bass cats were the best built boat in the market place they would be selling as many as ranger triton skeeter an the other big builders.
    I do not think boat build quality has much to do with sales volume. I am not just saying that because I'm a BassCat owner either. I LOVED my Earl Bentz built 2004 Triton TR196, LOVED IT. It's a damn shame Triton discontinued that hull. I currently work at a Caymus dealer. They are great looking and built boats, they are just not for me. But you can tell Earl Bentz is involved in the design and customer service. He makes a great boat. Currently Triton is in no way the company they were 10 to 15 years ago. Nitro is better then they were 15 years ago and Skeeters are pretty nice. I owned one for 3 years after selling my TR196. I will say the upgraded resin BassCat offers is nice, so is the fact there is no cheap plastic used on the front and driver consoles. The trailers are even better. Rumor has it Ranger will not be making there own trailers in the future either.

The thing that sets BassCat apart from other bass boat companies (except maybe Phoenix) is customer service. If I need a part all I do is call BassCat and ask for parts and I talk to a live person instantly. Hell I even asked to talk to Rick Pierce once, I was put on hold briefly and he got on the phone and answered my question. Good luck getting that service from Triton, Nitro or Skeeter.

I hope BassCat stays the way they are now, some call them small or unpopular. I hope they do not sell out (yes I know they are owned by Correct Craft) like countless other bass boat companies have. I will gladly pay a little more for better customer service, workmanship and materials. I for one DO NOT want to ever see BassCats for sale in Bass Pro Shops at national price points with cookie cutter options.

To the OP of this post, sorry you are having issues. It is very frustrating having quality control issues with a brand new boat, especially with the prices these things are. Hang in there and give the dealer a chance to make it right. Tritons are nice boats and hopefully they will get better support from Johnny Morris and his team because they seem to be treated like his stepchild.
    Last edited by BassCatBrad; 09-16-2020 at 06:56 PM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmithboats View Post
    tough to reason with folks with their handle the same as the boat they have.
    Are my statements wrong? Yeah I own a BassCat, you could’ve inserted any brand in your inaccurate statement and I would’ve called bullshit. I prowl pretty much all of the boards. I’m a bass boat junkie and I happen to love the TRX Tritons. I personally think they’re one of the best looking boats made. The op evidently got a lemon, which sucks. I think Triton makes a great boat and I hope the op gets his issues resolved

15. Member
    Thanks BasscatTyler I agree with most everything you say. Triton is in no way what they used to be. My father had an ‘07 and ‘10 HP hulls and the quality was great, everything was on those boats. I was hoping for that in these boats. But with Jonny Morris buying them out you do start to see a decrease in quality here and there around the boat. Glad not everyone is having issues but after this I will buy another Triton. It’ll have to be a Phoenix, Caymas or BassCat. Gotta give those Caymas a couple years to wear and tear on them. How many hours y’all got on your boats? I’m at 51 in one year of fishing and I was even sidelined all of April due to Rona shutting fishing down in my state.

16. Member
    I bought my 18trx in April, I fish about 12-15 hours a week. So far mine hasn't had any issues (knock on wood). It was included in the floatation recall. They sent out a factory guy to correct their defect and he did a good job. I would have expected a free hat or something from Triton for the inconvenience caused, but crickets from them. My dealer (Bunch Marine) DID give me a gift certificate, that's the right way to treat your customers. I do think the smaller independent owned manufacturers tend to focus more on quality and customer service after the sale. The trouble with Earl Bentz owned companies, the boats are quality but his customers are more dedicated to his products than he is to them. Translated: when the money is right the company is sold. Nothing wrong per se with that either, It's America! Cash out when the money talks! I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Caymas, I priced one before I made my purchase. It came down to no Caymas's in inventory and they were a tad pricey. I couldn't blame you for trading boats though, I probably will if mine starts giving me grief. Hopefully this will be your last issue.

17. Banned
    Boats are like RV's. They can be a pain at first, but once you work all the kinks out they're pretty damn solid and reliable. It's why I kept my boat. There's was nothing structurally wrong, just a lot of little issues. Fixed right they won't be an issue again.

18. Member
    Can you post a picture of the gap? I’m curious about the size.