Thread: Rod Repair

Question Rod Repair

Any of the sponsors on here do rod repair? The insert in my eyelet on the tip of my Mojo rod is missing a chunk and fraying my line. St Croix wants me to snap my rod and send them $50 and they will send me a new one. Was hoping there was a cheaper alternative... thanks!
    Wes Smith
    1999 Ranger 519 DVS
    2011 RAM 1500

The very tip top? You can do that yourself. Gently heat the tip top and wiggle it free to remove it. Then replace with a new tip top. Fuji and others make repair kits that include a couple different sizes and the hot melt glue you can use to attach it. I think it's best to cut thin slivers of the glue to fit inside the replacement tip's tube then heat and place over the blank, wiping off any excess. You can gently heat it back up and adjust it if you don't get it aligned properly.

If you want something a little more accurately fitted and/or high end, you'll need to measure the diameter at the tip of the rod after removing the existing tip top, then buy a new tip top in the appropriate size to replace it. Tip tops have 2 sizes, one size for the ring and one for the tube (that fits over the rod blank). You'll be safe to go with a ring size of 6, then just shop for the right tube size. The tube sizes convert to 64ths of an inch (e.g., a tip top with a size 5 tube fits a rod blank that is 5/64" in diameter at the tip).

If you'd rather not tackle it yourself, you're probably best served to find a local rod builder. You'll spend $50 in shipping trying to get it to and from anyone who's not local.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Thank you! I will look into that.
    Wes Smith
    1999 Ranger 519 DVS
    2011 RAM 1500

4. Member

5. Member
    Thank you guys! I think if my rod was more than $100 new, I probably would’ve opted to break it and pay the $50 but since it’s a lower end rod, I just ordered the Fuji repair kit from amazon and should have it fixed before our tournament this weekend!
    Wes Smith
    1999 Ranger 519 DVS
    2011 RAM 1500

Most decent tackle shops stock tip tops for a few dollars each. Take off your broken tip and take your rod along to the tackle shop to get an exact fit.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    Get you one of these for Christmas in your sock.

https://www.mudhole.com/CRB-Tip-Guide-Sizing-Gauge

8. Banned
    You can give ST croix your model number and ask to buy a tip top. They'll send the correct size and some of the correct glue as well. It will be over priced, but it will be correct/matching