Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

115 ECU on 90hp Optimax?

Since Simon Motorsports is no longer flashing the ECUs is it possible to put a 115 Optimax ECU on a 75 or 90hp ,and pull the air intake restrictor and get the same results?

2. Member
    no comment, EPA and product modification reasons
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    no comment, EPA and product modification reasons
    Couldn't care less about that, they don't emissions test outboard motors or anything else where I live. I have modified every vehicle I own.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Couldn't care less about that, they don't emissions test outboard motors or anything else where I live. I have modified every vehicle I own.
    Ok...

To answer your question specifically, the answer is that not only is doing this illegal, you can't simply change the ECM to make it a 115.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Ok...

To answer your question specifically, the answer is that not only is doing this illegal, you can't simply change the ECM to make it a 115.
    What else has to be changed? From what I have read on here in the past, people with 75s had them flashed to a 115 and removed the air restrictor on the intake and that is all that had to be done, what is the difference in flashing the ECU to a 115 and just putting a 115 ECU on it?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Easiest way is to compare the parts diagrams (every item). Anything that involves air traveling through the engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    If I don't change anything else will I still see the same results as I would if I just had my ECU flashed to a 115?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You will have a rich-running 90.

9. Member
    You will have a rich-running 90.
    Does the ECU monitor how rich or lean it's running, and if so wouldn't it compensate for this?

10. Member
    gotta have mo air
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Does the ECU monitor how rich or lean it's running, and if so wouldn't it compensate for this?
    No- this is a Speed-Density system, it's fuel delivery assumes a FIXED air flow that does not alter from it's original programming.

(This is unlike automotive-type "Mass Airflow" systems).

12. Member
    No- this is a Speed-Density system, it's fuel delivery assumes a FIXED air flow that does not alter from it's original programming.

(This is unlike automotive-type "Mass Airflow" systems).
    Interesting, that's somewhat similar to how most diesel engines are programmed.

Any idea why Simon's stopped doing the flashes?
    22 Triton TRX20 22 Pro XS 250
    16 Triton 1760sc 16 Merc 75hp

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 96MrBass View Post
    Had something to do with AL Gore's scam I believe.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably has a lot to do with SB 2019-08 (and the potential staggering cost to anyone making such modifications).

16. Member
    To bad Simons had to quit flashing. My 75 Optimax was flashed in 2012 and has been flawless with the exception of a leaking oil pump. It hasn't been on the computer since then but has to have somewhere between 400-500 hours on it. I don't run it hard though just generally changed my cruise speed to what my max speed was stock. No regrets.

Is there anyone else that does them?

18. Member
    Is there anyone else that does them?
    I have only found one company and they are in Australia, I really don't want to ship my ECU overseas.

Holy cow! Yeah don't blame ya there. I was looking forward to having one done myself. Thanks

20. Member
    Update I found and installed a 115 ECU, along with composite reeds and took the restrictor ring out of the throttle body, I had a throttle body off of a 115 I was going to use but I found out that they are exactly the same, so I used my original one instead. I tested it out and you can tell it has more power for sure, It jumps on plane quick and I can't run wide open trimmed up with the same prop I had before or it will over rev and set the alarm off, gained 2mph and It will probably improve more once I get the right prop on there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast