Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As stated above, the throttle plates are NOT "exactly the same". Very close/similar, but different enough to require a separate part number.

Reference the Parts Catalog and Part Numbers for accurate information.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

2. Member
    They sure look the same to me. Same throat diameter and same part# on the butterfly valve.

20201212_174852.jpg

20201212_174917.jpg

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Perhaps one of those isn't what you thought it was (ie: Original already been changed, one you got not what you expected, etc).

Definitely different part numbers, see below image:

1.5L-ThrottlePlate.JPG

No need to argue about it, though.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    That might be the case, it came off of the same engine that the 115 ECU did. I have noticed there is several different part numbers for the 1.5 Optimax 115 throttle body depending on the year and some years even show a few different part numbers. Same goes for the ECU, I found at least 10 different part numbers for a 115 ECU, not sure what the actual difference is. I kind of believe that Mercury just changed part numbers a lot to confuse people so they wouldn't think parts could interchange with other years or motors when they actually can. The ECU I got came off of an 07 and it works fine on my 2010 even though they show a different part number for a 2010 ECU.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Well they do change part numbers a lot, but not for that reason. Most of those part numbers supersede to newer numbers either due to some improvement, a vendor change, etc.

6. Banned
    Hope you never need to make an insurance claim.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    Hope you never need to make an insurance claim.
    Why is that? I have made an insurance claim.

8. Banned
    Could give the insurance company a reason to deny the claim if the motor has been altered like that.

9. Member
    Could give the insurance company a reason to deny the claim if the motor has been altered like that.
    Never heard of that not is it in my policy, we modify vehicles all the time and never have an issue. Even if that was an issue I could easily put my old one back on.

10. Banned
    See what happens when you have to make a claim that has injuries or property damage. And it's tough to "change the parts back" when the boat is impounded.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See what happens when you have to make a claim that has injuries or property damage. And it's tough to "change the parts back" when the boat is impounded.
    This is perhaps one of the biggest risks. Whether or not you "caused" the accident or injuries would be up for debate if a decent lawyer recognized the modifications that had been made. Makes for a pretty easy argument path to "wanton disregard for laws, regulations and safety". Have seen this happen once with an overpowered boat.

12. Member
    In the land of what ifs anything is possible, but in reality I have never seen or heard of that. I have modified all of my engines and several others with no problems at all with insurance. People would be getting in trouble all the time around here if that was true.

13. Banned
    I guess common sense ain't so common anymore....LOL
    Is it worth another 5-6 mph?

14. Member
    I guess common sense ain't so common anymore....LOL
    Is it worth another 5-6 mph?
    Yes it was well worth it. It was actually cheaper than having the ECU reprogrammed to a 115 would have been, and I have a spare that I can use when I have to do an oil pump prime so I don't have to put the one I am using now in break in mode, seems like a common sense idea to me.

15. Banned
    Is your boat rated for a 115? You do realize that boats under 20ft are subject to Coast Guard regs such as the horsepower rating of that is on the boat.

16. Member
    Is your boat rated for a 115? You do realize that boats under 20ft are subject to Coast Guard regs such as the horsepower rating of that is on the boat.
    Yes I am aware of the Coast Guard ratings, mine is within the limits.

17. Member
    Update, I put 50 hours on it this year and it has performed flawlessly.

18. Member

115 ECU update

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Update I found and installed a 115 ECU, along with composite reeds and took the restrictor ring out of the throttle body, I had a throttle body off of a 115 I was going to use but I found out that they are exactly the same, so I used my original one instead. I tested it out and you can tell it has more power for sure, It jumps on plane quick and I can't run wide open trimmed up with the same prop I had before or it will over rev and set the alarm off, gained 2mph and It will probably improve more once I get the right prop on there.

I am about to do the same with my 2004 90HP. 2 years later is there anything that you would do different?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thazard View Post
    I am about to do the same with my 2004 90HP. 2 years later is there anything that you would do different?
    No, still runs great, is yours an Optimax?

20. Member
    Yes it is. I see 115 HP PCU's on ebay for $400 or so. Will most likely go that route.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast