Wheel Bearings on Phoenix Trailers

Can I replace the current dust caps with Bearing Buddy? If so what size?

2. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    1.98" use red&tacky greese
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

3. Member
    1980SS Bearing Buddy Like Drewtick Said 1.98 just repack bearings after you get that vault crap out and slap new seal in back.

4. Member
    Love my Vault!
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

5. Member
    I've seen 4 sets fail within two years of new so far. Just dont see the advantage of oil over grease in a scenario of being on the side of the road versus not. One small hole oil is gone, grease will still be there till you can get somewhere. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    I've seen 4 sets fail within two years of new so far. Just dont see the advantage of oil over grease in a scenario of being on the side of the road versus not. One small hole oil is gone, grease will still be there till you can get somewhere. Good luck!
    Why do they continue using the oil hubs with such a high failure rate? Why not just go back to a grease type hub?

7. Member
    The older vaults were oil, the newer (mines 7 years) uses vault grease. If you watch the black center (thats the pressure indicator) it will tell you if you have a seal leak. I've lost one seal in since late 2013. Nearly all my trips are an 1 hour one way or longer.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

8. Member
    What is on the 2018?? Whatever it was it was thin! Lost all of it in less than 2 miles and was stuck. Luckily we were near a small marina. Found dust cap and gobbed some grease in it to make it back home. Vault just isn't for me. My 2021 had a leak in the cap third trip out. Never had any issue with grease and Bearing Buddies. None. Easy peasy to work on to.

9. Member
    Had 2 seals leak late this summer at about the same time, one right front, and one left rear axles, 5 year old trailer, longest trip has been 30 minutes between 35mph, 45mph. And 50mph for about 3 minutes one way to one lake, and 10 minutes to the other lake, and to the third lake about 10 minutes at 60 one way. LOTS of trips and ain't no way a seal should go bad, ran for a couple years on grease before checking, packing bearings, and never lost a seal, ran seals for MANY years and never lost a seal, or had a leaking seal, weeks at a time to and from Calif and all. Too many cheap parts out there these days. And yes both brake pads were broken on one side - linings broke off the back, cheap glue. And the new pads from the recomended trailer store didn't fit, had to file a little bit off the ends and in the notches.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

10. Member
    Vault system is garbage. About to replace everything with bearing buddies with red n tacky tired of being on the side of the road.