Is a Mercmonitor worth it if you already have SC1000s?

2018 Verado Pro 200 L6 2B478681

I have a tritoon with an SC1000 tach/speedo setup along with a Simrad G07 with no current NMEA link.

I have been thinking about linking them up via a vessel view link or mercmonitor but hesitant to spend the money because outside of a GPS speedo and the ability to display gauges on the simrad i dont see any real gains. Is there any other reason to do so?

Is there any data that I would gain that I dont already get with the SC1000?

I looked through the site and couldn't find anything specific as most of the mercmonitor talk seems to be about addint them to a boat with analog gauges.

What would I need to go to a mercmonitor? I already have the junction block in the console for the current gauges.

Thanks much.

i have had all 3...
    one boat with just the little square unit display...(not that great)
    2 boats with the MERC MONITOR level 1 and 2...(2 is way better becase of the TRI page ability)
    1 boat with the SC1000 Tach and Speedo....(THIS ONE IS MY FAVORITE BY FAR!)

this is my opinion
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

3. Member
    The SC1000 does everything I want or need it to do. It's got the RPM, Water pressure, Engine Temp, and Fuel used.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    The SC1000 does everything I want or need it to do. It's got the RPM, Water pressure, Engine Temp, and Fuel used.
    Then you've essentially answered your own question.

That being said- your Simrad, coupled with a Vessel View Link, opens up the screen of Mercury's FLAGSHIP VesselView Instrumentation (and some additional features when coupled with a DTS engine such as your Verado).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I had been kicking around the idea of replacing my SC1000 speedo with a MM ever since the MM came out.

For the cost, I never bother as I get all the info I need on both the SC1000 tachometer and speedometer readouts. The only benefit I could see the MM would have would be to for it to let me know when the motor/boat is trimmed out perfectly but, I do a good enough job of it using the instant MPG and for the tenths of MPG, the cost of the MM would not make up for whatever tenths of a gallon I'd save in the long run.

What helps me is that I have both a Northstar 660 and Navman 6600 and have the SmartCraft gateway that lets me see up to 8 different gauges, of my choosing, at once, on one of the units though, they don't do what the MM does with finding the optimum trim for the best MPG and that is the entire point of the MM.

I do love the SC1000 guages as the combination of the dials/needles and the information in the LCD, they have been perfect since 2007.
    Last edited by Thundra; 09-16-2020 at 09:25 AM.

6. Member
    It should be noted that current versions of the Mercmonitor no longer have the "eco screen", Don could probably tell you the last software revision that still had it, if it were important to you.

I think the major benefits of a Mercmonitor are the tri-data screens and if you get a level-1 or higher it is your "Smartcraft gateway". Though data overlays on the MFD arent near as pretty as the screens provided by Vessel View Link.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

7. mikesxpress
    The upgrade to the Level 1 adds some things I believe are essential if your trying to maximize the performance of your rig as well as detailed information on alarms.
    Engine hours
    Max speed & rpms (can be reset)
    GPH fuel used (can be reset)
    GPH real time aides in obtaining optimal fuel economy.
    Service reminder with progress bar
    While this is probably way more information than the average end user needs, it's a great tool for those of us setting up our rig for the best possible performance.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    The upgrade to the Level 1 adds some things I believe are essential if your trying to maximize the performance of your rig as well as detailed information on alarms.
    Engine hours
    Max speed & rpms (can be reset)
    GPH fuel used (can be reset)
    GPH real time aides in obtaining optimal fuel economy.
    Service reminder with progress bar
    While this is probably way more information than the average end user needs, it's a great tool for those of us setting up our rig for the best possible performance.
    All the listed items with the exception of Max Speed and RPM can be had on the SC1000.
    Furthermore, you CAN dump a Nema 0183 connection from your chartplotter/gps to the SC1000 Speedo and use GPS speed.
    And when you do, you get Fuel to Waypoint, Heading to Waypoint, Steering Advice, Distance to Waypoint, and Arrival alarm on the SC-1000.

Most Chartplotters will show Max Speed, if you look for it.

Net, I wouldn't spend $$ on a MercMonitor if I already had SC-1000's (which I do).
    Only place I would spend $$ would be to go the VVL and have my MFD be a true VV distplay...but, I think it is in the neighborhood of $650 to go there...not completely sure it is worth it...although I have consdered it 2 or 3 times and not pulled the trigger. DTS might be a reason to go there, my motor is not DTS, so the extras (ski launch profiles, a few others) are not available to me.

I'd start by hooking up the NEMA 0183, see here --> http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=60875
    Aside from a couple wire butt connectors, a few swear words as you lie on your back under your console, and a few advil the next day, its essentially free to you.
    Run with that for a bit as your speed source, then see if the remaining additional features of the VVL are worth the extra 6.5 c-notes...
    Last edited by MichaelJ3; 09-17-2020 at 01:19 PM.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

9. mikesxpress
    It's obviously a matter of personal preference and also what you already have in place. My Level 1 is also networked into my Lowrance system/HDS 12's (the MM gets its GPS and clock data from the MFD) and you can display the data on the MFD if you wish. I don't need/want to do that as I have rolling favorites on the MM that display what I want to see while running. I replaced my analog Speedo with the MM and then did the daisy chain replacement of the rest of my analog gages with Smartcraft gages. The size of the actual display and ability to read it underway also comes into consideration.

10. Member
    I’d say I’ve never found the SC1000 displays hard to see while underway...fonts are big and bold.

My Tach is usually on the Trim and H2O pressure screen, and my Speedo usually on either Insantaneous Economy and Average Economy. Or on GPH and Fuel Used.

Heres an older YouTube showing the Tach in Action.

Net, since OP starting from SC1000 already, I don’t see huge advantage to the MercMonitor...VVL would be a big upgrade.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It's all about what works best for the consumer- that's why there are options.

And the good news is that if you get with Rhonda (see her post, pinned at the top of the Forum for email info), she can provide you with a list of available options and special BBC member pricing (followed by support should you have any questions or difficulty during your install).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    ^^^Solid advice right there!