250 proxs electric clicking noise possible trim problem

I have 2020 250 proxs 2b745842 I have a clicking noise like a switch is clicking on and off this is also with the key off only way it stops is to pull the Merc clean power fuse . A couple times while doing this the motor will go to full tilt on its own . Once you pull the fuse it resets and trim works just fine bit the clicking pretty much immediately starts again . I have disconnected the bow trim buttons and the console trim switches just to eliminate. Im not sure if this is a trim problem or something in the computer system. Any help would be appreciated

Need to disconnect the one on the lower motor cover as well. Also look for signs of water intrusion inside cowling.

Joe Perez
    Boatless white trash

3. Member
    Check your trolling motor cable and make sure it is not touching the front trim switch

4. Member
    Wrong Forum Sir your motor IS a FOUR STROKE, not a Two Stroke motor.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving thread to the 4-Stroke Forum for you.

Something is actuating the trim, possibly the switch in the lower cowling... Your local dealer should be able to assist you with this.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thanks for all the help . Sorry about the wrong forum didn't look closely enough just saw pro xs

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pretty simple to unplug that cowling trim switch to see if it stops the problem... if it does, the switch is faulty.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    That's what I was going to do only problem is now I can't even get it to act up .out on the water I unplugged the bow switch and the console switch and it still had the issue. The only switch left is the cowl . I fished in the rain all day and the next day is when I had the problem I'm guessing something got water I'm hoping no if I change this cowling switch I'm good but like I say it won't even do it now

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unplug the cowling switch and make sure the rubber seal is still present inside the connector (missing seal can allow moisture in and takes very little to bridge two pins).