Question about pedestal base 3/4” Pin adapters

For those who changed from the standard pedestal poles/ bases to the 3/4” pin adapters, I was wondering about the pros and cons after the switch. Also will the pin style stay in place in rough water when running? Going to be switching to a 198 and it has the common stuck pedestal issues.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    On my '89 201 it was a snap as the original seat bases were the Taper lock style. It was less expensive to use the adapter to the convert to the 3/4" pin, no ill effects on the swap over.

3. Member
    I also just did 3/4” pin adapters....... zero issues & I leave seats in while running

4. Member
    Thanks, and now a completely crazy question, can you use a threaded pedestal with those bases or does it have to be straight only? I know it won’t screw in but I believe it will still fit? ( or maybe it won’t )

5. Member
    I just got a 2006 198 and it had rubber inserts in the seat holes to use the 3/4” pin. I tried one of my 3/4” pedestals and it was very tight and I could not get it all the way in. I drilled out the insert and it fits great now. I tried a 3/4” threaded pedestal and it fit with no problem.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flashnyellow View Post
    I just got a 2006 198 and it had rubber inserts in the seat holes to use the 3/4” pin. I tried one of my 3/4” pedestals and it was very tight and I could not get it all the way in. I drilled out the insert and it fits great now. I tried a 3/4” threaded pedestal and it fit with no problem.
    That is great to hear. Do you find them as stable as the full size posts? Also curious if they come out easy or do you plan to leave them in? I hope they will come out so I can use a seats out cover.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    That is great to hear. Do you find them as stable as the full size posts? Also curious if they come out easy or do you plan to leave them in? I hope they will come out so I can use a seats out cover.
    I have not been out since I drilled them out but they came out ok with no issues.

They seemed stable when I tried them out.

i do not plan on leaving the seats in the inserts when covered.

8. Member
    Thanks so much for the info, that is what I needed to know!

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Chop sawed the threaded end off no issues

10. Member
    I added these to my 196, they work great.
    I opted for the threaded post and welded a nut to a short piece of round stock as a handle.
    If you are worried about it being rough, thread the nut on, twist the pedestal a bit and you are all set.

This makes it much easier, especially if you cover and uncover your boat often.
    2006 Champion 196 Mercury 200 Optimax

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 196Champ View Post
    I added these to my 196, they work great.
    I opted for the threaded post and welded a nut to a short piece of round stock as a handle.
    If you are worried about it being rough, thread the nut on, twist the pedestal a bit and you are all set.

This makes it much easier, especially if you cover and uncover your boat often.
    I'd like to know more about that. I'm not quite sure what you are explaining though, a pic perhaps?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    I'd like to know more about that. I'm not quite sure what you are explaining though, a pic perhaps?
    +1
    GETFISHED !!!