Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Trailer Tongue Catching

I have to utilize the swing away capability to my trailer in order to fit my boat into the garage. I pull the two pins and swing it to the starboard side after every use. It has never been a problem. Friday I was swinging it back to straight to place the pins in to hook up and tow. It stopped about an 1/8th inch short of perfect. Therefore the holes weren't formed perfectly for me to put the pins in. If those pins don't go in, the boat isn't going anywhere. I know about cranking the strap winch a little to slightly lift the tongue. In the past, I don't even have to do that for it to line up beautifully. I tried all that stuff and it was still not making it. I put Anti-Seize on the surfaces around the holes and on the pins hoping that may help. It did eventually line up and the pins fell in like butter and I was on to the lake.

When I got boat back into the garage and pulled the pins to swing open for storage, it caught in the same place before I got it to swing away like normal. I can already tell this will start being stressful each time I hook up to the truck. I was wondering what tips you have. I know the tongue has some weight to it. Does anybody put some blocks or anything under the front portion just to take some weight off? I've never worried about it but if this is what people do please let me know.

My friend thinks a minute amount of rust can cause this also. I don't see any rust of any kind.
    Again, I've applied Anti-Seize all around it but don't expect that to be a miracle cure.

Any guidance or links from past threads much appreciated.

2. Member
    Double check and make sure your trailer light harness and brake line are not getting pinched other than that I've not had an issue.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greg88 View Post
    Double check and make sure your trailer light harness and brake line are not getting pinched other than that I've not had an issue.
    This. It's the only issue I have ever had as well.
    Take an extra minute or two and make sure the wires aren't in the way or you will create a mess if you crush or tear them.

2016 BassCat Puma
    250 SHO

4. Member
    Check the weld on the tongue, mine cracked at the bottom of the hinge.

Longer hitches do put more stress on the pivot tongue, if yours is long. The cracking on the lower cam arm is a possibility, though it’s very rare and usually the hitches are extended style like cabover camper hitches that extend rearwards. Apparently they give more spring.

The safety pin will allow use to get it to a repair if that’s the case.

If not, then something else is causing it to bind, and your friend is right in that a little rust can prevent closure with the tighter tolerances.

BCB
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 09-14-2020 at 07:34 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greg88 View Post
    I double checked many times that day. . It's definitely not that. Break line comfortably in it's slot (you'll see in pics here in a few). The actual light plug is nearby but does not interfere. I'm very careful every time I close the hinge. It's not being pinched or interfering.

7. Member
    [QUOTE=Bass Cat Boats;11376353]Longer hitches do put more stress on the pivot tongue, if yours is long. The cracking on the lower cam arm is a possibility, though it’s very rare and usually the hitches are extended style like cabover camper hitches that extend rearwards. Apparently they give more spring.

The safety pin will allow use to get it to a repair if that’s the case.

If not, then something else is causing it to bind, and your friend is right in that a little rust can prevent closure with the tighter tolerances.

Here are some pics. I wiped away some Anti-Seize and there is a little bit of fresh metal scrap.
    There are no chunks of metal missing or anything like that.

And what about support blocks under the tongue when opened? Should that not be necessary? I'm not a metal guy so excuse my ignorance, but would you recommend light sanding or surface work that may help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Not trying to be Mr. Obvious, but looks like there is a bit of a burr or rust buildup on edge of bracket. If it’s that snug tight may or may not be enough to keep it from closing.
    F06C82C4-1EE7-4EE6-B57A-7CC6601722CA.jpeg

OH MY!
    long overdue some Lubricant...

10. Member
    Call me an idiot but I don't understand. Steel has minor surface rust that I've been told is common. The parts have NEVER rubbed when opening or closing the trailer. Even with the Anti-Seize, it still caught a few times. So the lubrication isn't a fix all.
    Are you seeing some type of neglect I need to stay on top of? If so please just say it. I open and close this trailer before and after each use so this is important.

11. Member
    I think it just needs to be wire brushed and maybe some wd40 on both of the surfaces to get the rust and any build up off. It’s probably common but if that surface isn’t smooth it probably won’t latch either. Again just my 2 cents.

12. Member
    In other words, where you have the anti-seize may not be the issue, it may be the rust buildup on the faces of the bracket.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surge489 View Post
    In other words, where you have the anti-seize may not be the issue, it may be the rust buildup on the faces of the bracket.
    Ok. I'll do that. Thanks

14. Member
    BCB do you agree this suggestion of wire brush and Wd-40? If so, any particular grade of wire brush? I know it's steel so likely doesn't matter but thought I'd ask anyway. It's too important for me not to.

15. Member
    Has the trailer ever been in brackish or salt water? My 2016 trailer is much "cleaner" at the swing area with no buildup. Looks like it needs some clean up and detail. Perhaps clean the rust off and add some paint to seal it.

16. Member
    No

When is the last time you pulled out the pivot bolt and lubed it? Looks pretty dry in those pics. Also, if it's the slightest bit too tight it can cause it to bind some.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surge489 View Post
    Not trying to be Mr. Obvious, but looks like there is a bit of a burr or rust buildup on edge of bracket. If it’s that snug tight may or may not be enough to keep it from closing.
    F06C82C4-1EE7-4EE6-B57A-7CC6601722CA.jpeg
    Whatever you circled came right off with one strike with steel wool. It was nothing relevant I don't think although I appreciate you pointing it out.
    Here is pic of that area after steel wool.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cd4th View Post
    When is the last time you pulled out the pivot bolt and lubed it? Looks pretty dry in those pics. Also, if it's the slightest bit too tight it can cause it to bind some.
    I have never pulled the pivot bolt and was getting ready to ask about that. I read on here years ago something about pulling it out and adding Anti-Seize or something. BCB would this be something I should try? I hit all the edges with steel wool and it still binds when closing. Just barely though. And I can still manage to get it lined up and both pins in. In fact, tonight the middle pin slid in like butter. Just the outside one took some work. Here is a pic from tonight to make what I'm saying crystal clear.

Your problem is most likely the pivot bolt, that is where the rust is generated and coming from. I lube that bolt with marine wheel bearing grease, will last for several years, Never seize is not a lubricant. It helps avoid seizures, grease is better
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast