Marine-Tex Color Matching - Black

Hello,

I recently put a couple scratches in my bass boat's hull, which is jet black. I've tried to repair a small gouge on this hull before using marine-tex and the black coloring agent but the repair never got dark enough and once cured the resin is a much lighter shade of black than the hull. I just lived with it since it's on the bottom, but this time I'd like to do it right. I thought I recall the instructions saying not to add too much coloring agent as it could affect the resin, and I believe I added more than it even recommended and still could not get it dark enough.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get the resin to be dark enough black? Any help is appreciated.

Post pics of your scratches and we may be able help.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    get a patch paste kit from spectrum color and do it right.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Post pics of your scratches and we may be able help.

https://ibb.co/qdN7byS
    https://ibb.co/tzDmnbM

Here's a couple pictures. The one shows a few new scratches/gouges and the other shows a small nickel sized spot I attempted to repair previously that was completely off on the color match. The color looked a lot closer before it cured, and seems to have even gotten worse over time, as well as started pitting.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to these types of repairs, but last time I applied marine-tex, and then started wet sanding with progressively finer grit paper until I was using 1000 or 2000 and sanded flush with hull. I then buffed with some compound.

Any tips on color matching and/or things I may be doing wrong would be appreciated. The hull also has a lot of scratches/markings, I believe 80% of which will buff out.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Looks like enough areas under the boat to grind out, fill and spray but you can try Spectrum to see if can buy a small amount of gel to match and thicken with cabosil and lay in. The place at the back...just carefully grind it out and see what you have.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    Poly gel coat won’t stick to the epoxy. Epoxy paint will.