Water in my Face!

I have a 2018 Ultrex That has worked flawlessly. Earlier this season I noticed that even though I spin the prop when I pull it up, it will have water coming out of the prop area for several seconds after getting on pad...hitting my co-angler in the face. Because of that, and this being it's 3rd season I took it in to the TM shop for a check up. They called and said there was some water in the LU, warrantied, new LU and shaft. Yeah it's still doing the same thing. Does that ring trap water somehow? Does the TH Marine nut hold water somewhere?

Anybody have this issue? What was the fix?
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

2. Member
    Just got a rebuilt ultrex back on the boat (same year) after having water intrusion issues, and guess what, still leaks... so in the same boat as you on this one..

3. Member
    So water getting inti LU is only possibility? Seems unusual that two LU's that are working perfectly would getting water in them
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

4. Member
    The ASC rebuilt the trolling motor. So same shaft and motor housing, but new brushes, wires, and cleaned up the stator. New seals were installed when this was done and first use it was taking on water again.

If it is only a few seconds there may be water draining from the open areas in the prop and ring, but if its longer than 10-15 seconds I would assume that it's water coming out of the LU.

Is it clean water? Or does it leave a bad white film when dried?

5. Member
    Mick, I am betting this is just the water inside the hub. At speed the vacuum created by the wind is just pulling the water from there. Have seen that many times over the years. many different kinds of motors and none had water intrusion. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    I have a 112 Fortrex. Water get trapped behind the prop and it takes a few seconds of turning the motor on and having the prop face on an upward angle to get the water out. It is the nature of it. My 101 Maxium did it too.
    Solution is to take a little more time to make sure most of the water is out from the back of the prop. You won't get it all, but you will get most of it.

To the two issues
    Unless the thru bolt are extremely loose I am certain that the water coming from the prop area is water trapped behind the prop and not in the lower unit.
    It would more likely come out the top of the shaft into the head than from the motor area if you had water in the motor.
    This is not unique to just you 2. Everyone has water trapped behind the prop no matter what brand.

7. Member
    Mine has always done the same thing. I believe it is just water in the hollow back of the prop and the small gap where it meets the lower unit. I always let mine drain 2-3 seconds before I stow it. No big deal.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    Mine has always done the same thing. I believe it is just water in the hollow back of the prop and the small gap where it meets the lower unit. I always let mine drain 2-3 seconds before I stow it. No big deal.
    ^^ This^^
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

every trolling motor I ever had would splatter your sunglasses when getting on plane. how long this splattering lasted was in direct relation to how fast the boat was .

10. Member
    Any time I have observed water coming from inside a T/M motor, it is nasty and black. Anybody that wipes their boat down would see this and fix it immediately. I don't wipe my boat down, but my motor doesn't leak internally either.

Look at the inside of the prop there is about 8 oz of room in there. The 45 drops is just it blowing out.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089