150 Pro XS question

2B699863.

My new boat has a 150 Pro XS. Reading reviews, several mention the need to run the engine often and hard. I mostly fish a small lake with very few places I can open up for about 5 minutes of safe running. Most of the time I'm on the lake, I can only run about 5-7 mph due to hidden stumps and lay downs. And, I occasionally go weeks between uses.

Are the comments I've read accurate? If yes, any recommendations I should follow?
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-14-2020 at 01:58 PM.

2. Member
    It's really a good idea to find somewhere to get rpms up to 3500 - 4500rpm as that is where it is most fuel efficient and runs the cleanest. Not too much an issue to go weeks between outings, but months between outings there are things you can do to prevent future problems. Frequent use with runs 5 - 10mins at rpms indicated combined with staying on top of the annual or hourly maintenance recommendations will really help get the most from your engine.

Btw, your engine is covered in the next forum up, please also provide provide engine serial # (required when posting) per Announcement at top of forum.

Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Which forum depends on whether it's a 150 ProXS (Optimax) or a 150 ProXS (Fourstroke 3.0L). The Four-strokes have their own dedicated forum.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

My engine is a 2020 3.0 litre Pro XS. Am I not in the right place?

Serial #2B699863
    Last edited by Coastal Mountaineer; 09-14-2020 at 01:52 PM.

Updated for serial number.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Mountaineer View Post
    My engine is a 2020 3.0 litre Pro XS. Am I not in the right place?

Serial #2B699863
    Your engine is a Fourstroke- so it goes in the 4-stroke Forum. I'll move it there for you.

It is important to get the engine up to temp, out there on the water and running through at least the mid-range of RPM's each time you're on the water. There are many factors and reasons for this, but two of the more important ones are:

-Evaporation of condensation that builds inside the engine, crankcase and oil

-Reduction of and elimination of carbon buildup that can occur from excessive low-RPM running.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Since it's a 4-stroke disregard my comments above. Unlike Don, Joe54, and a few others I don't have a convenient serial number decoder.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax