Thread: 2001 Tr-21

2001 Tr-21

Hey guys,

I've got a chance to get a 2001 Triton TR-21 with a 2001 Johnson 225. I'm weary of the motor, but I'm told it is a fresh rebuild by a local shop that I trust. Unsure of graphs, but I do like rigging these older boats. I've done 4 of them now and really want to step up to a boat this size. My past two have been late 90's model 18 foot Skeeters. I was pretty brand loyal to Skeeter, but with this having a fresh rebuild and being local I thought I might give it a shot. It's listed at $9k, which seems awfully low considering a new powerhead and lower unit. Comes with some stuff I'd throw on anyways like a hotfoot and upgraded bilge and livewell pumps. I was really hoping to do was to find a nice older boat to throw a new 250 four stroke on. I like the layouts of these older boats and don't find them incapable of fishing my tournament trail, but would like the reliability, warranty and fuel economy of a four stoke. Would this be a good candidate? What are some things to look out for on these Tritons. From what I've read they're pretty bullet proof, but you're the experts. I know it desperately needs the be wet sanded and polished. Looks like it went without a cover for a hot minute.

Thanks in advance!

CP

2. Member
    I've got a 2000 tr21.

Narrow boat. Has a fairly challenging learning curve as far as the chime walk goes. With a new 250 on it I'd expect to see well over 80mph out of it. I'd also recommend a hydraulic jackplate. Shit I bet a 250proxs w/a hydraulic jack and the right prop would get you hitting 83 or 84mph..

The bow panels will probably be broken, they are available online..

Boat is very tough, I have hit a lot of things and had very minor gel coat chips. There will be stress cracks everywhere, not a big deal.

You will also need a little shim if you intend to install an ultrex, as the mount extends over a lip on the bow.

The back compartment is very snug, but I've managed to fit 3 27 series battery, and a 31 series in addition to my mkpc460.

The price is probably because the motor is crap and they know it, or the bottom has really bad blisters.

3. Member
    I bought a 2003 TR-21 with a 2003 Optimax (234 hrs) on it for 9K, the first time i took it out i blew the motor so be prepared for that possibility. The wife and I discussed this possibility before I bought the boat and were prepared, just didnt expect it to happen so soon... Make sure you do a compression check to verify you are buying a good motor. I put a 2020 250 ProXS 4S on it with a 25P tempest and have gotten it up to 77.8 gps with half a tank and empty livewells. When i fill it up and have full livewells, i usually see 75 mph (solo), i have the motor set at 2.75 PTP with over 25 PSI water pressure at WOT. The ride is fantastic in light to medium chop, but once you get into boat traffic (waves from every direction) it gets a little rough but not too bad. I have not had a chance to check the hull for blisters, however, i'm going to put gatorbaks on the bunks as soon as I can. I used them on my last boat and really liked the way the boat loaded and launched.
    2020 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S - S/N 2B745597

-------------------------
    Eric
    AWFC(NAC/AW) USN (Ret) - P-3C Flight Engineer

2003 TR-21 Bassmaster Classic Edition
    2020 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S
    Garmin 126sv (x3)
    LiveScope LSV 34 // 60A Monster Lithium
    Garmin Force 50" 36v // 3 Ionic 50A Lithium