1998 225 EFI starts and dies

I have a 1998 Mercury 225 EFI that will hit and die, hit and die, over and over. Runs fine for 2-3 seconds and dies. I keep the primer bulb tight on the fuel line and the tank has plenty of gas. Had new spark plugs put in last year. Store it with stabilizer and ran 5 months ago. I can hear the fuel pump kick in when I turn the key to the aux position. I tried starting in high neutral and it did the exact same thing except at higher rpm's. Any ideas of why it's hitting and dying repeatedly? Thanks in advance.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Start with the basics: Compression, Spark Test and Fuel Quality/Delivery/Pressure.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Sorry... serial number 0668-2033

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Serial number will be Digit, letter, six digits (example: 0G123456).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    My serial number is hard to read

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wjhuskey View Post
    Sorry... serial number 0668-2033
    try this (zero)> 0G682033 shows to be 98 225 efi
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Got it. So....... Anyone know what could be causing it to start and die repeatedly???

8. Member
    gotta determine whether its loosing fuel or spark im gonna say no fuel psi , test it and see
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Ok I'll check for spark. How do you test fuel psi?

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Fuel Pressure Gauge, connected to the schrader valve port.