Need help on 09 Triton 20X3

I recently purchased a 2009 Triton 20X3 w/ 250 ProXS. I bought it from a dealer who put a brand new power head on it prior to me purchasing it. I broke it in as Mercury recommended and I think the motor seems to be running good. The problem is I'm getting 63-64mph as a top speed @ around 5,600rpm. I also start to get some chine walking at that top speed. That's fully loaded with tackle, fuel and 1 person.
    I've heard this is a big heavy boat, but it sounds like most people are still getting around 70mph from it. So I'm thinking something can't be right on my boat. I'm trying to figure out what my problem likely is and how to fix it? Is this all related to the set up? It has a Fury 25p prop that appears to be in good shape.

Any help is appreciated.

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Is your engine getting wide open throttle?

3. Member
    I believe it’s getting wide open throttle. What would be the best way to check that?

4. Member
    Do you have a jack plate? I have the same boat except I am running a 26P fury, and a 10" Bobs action jack, Dual 8' PP Blades. With 4 blue tops, 3/4 fuel and a ton of tackle I run about 68-69 before the chine gets sketchy, still learning to drive it. Best I have been is 72 mph. I want to drop down to a 24P 0r 25P, as I am only hitting 5500-5600rpms. I have taken this boat up north to the great lakes and Chesapeake Bay, She handles the rough water well.
    Last edited by Infishicated; 09-29-2020 at 01:41 PM.

5. Member
    Walk is normal but I wouldn’t expect it to kick in until 66-67, you will have to drive through the walk to get faster than that. If you are seeing walk at 63 you are likely over trimming.

6. Member
    You might have the motor too low. Check your prop to pad and post. Someone will be able to tell you. If it’s too low it is slower out of the hole and will chine walk at slower speed. I just went through that with my tr20

7. Member
    Definitely needs at least an 8" jack plate and motor set around 3.25 under prop to pad.

8. Member
    Thanks for the input. It does have a manual jack plate. I will check the height and post it, hopefully someone can give me more insight with that info. I can see from a old water line that at some point the jack plate was raised about 2”. Made me wonder if they got it to high, but maybe it’s not high enough.

9. Member
    I had a chance to measure it today. It was set at about 4 3/4” under pad. I adjusted it as much as the jack plate would allow me to and I got it to 3 3/4”. To get it any higher it looks like to entire motor would have to get moved up at the main mounting holes. I hope to take it out in the next couple days. I’ll let you know what difference I see.

10. Member
    I had a chance to lake test the boat today after raising the motor. I did see some positive improvement in it. I hit a top speed of 67 at 5,800rpm, which is a increase of around 3mph and 200rpm. It did not chine walk at all and overall handle and rode better. My jack plate is maxed out, so I guess to adjust it any further I will have to find someone that can move the motor up a couple holes.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jherrman View Post
    I had a chance to lake test the boat today after raising the motor. I did see some positive improvement in it. I hit a top speed of 67 at 5,800rpm, which is a increase of around 3mph and 200rpm. It did not chine walk at all and overall handle and rode better. My jack plate is maxed out, so I guess to adjust it any further I will have to find someone that can move the motor up a couple holes.
    No need to wait to find someone, just need the lifting eye, a torque wrench, and rent a hoist and you can put it in whatever hole you want in under an hour.