2021 115 pro xs starts then dies

Hello all, first I want to thank anyone who puts time into reading up on my issues. Might I add I’m brand new to the forum! I purchased a 2021 Merc 115 pro xs this past Tuesday (9/8/20) and had it installed on my family boat (pontoon). I’ve been breaking it in this weekend, and Saturday, all was well until it wasn’t. I got about 4 hours on the motor, I was traveling at about 3,800 rpm and it sputtered a few times and then shut down. I had a full tank of gas when I started. The motor will fire and start and after about 3 seconds Sputters, sucks a lot of air and then shuts down. I got a tow back to our dock, and started brain storming. I started with fuel, ultimately checked for kinked hoses, pulled Inline filter out and checked it, ended up taking a full 5 gal can of gas and sticking the hose in there to eliminate the thought of my fuel cell having issues. Provided me no different results. There is no inline primer ball, there is a lift pump on this model. I checked all the electrical connections and found nothing loose. Brain stormed last night. I remember when I’d trim up and down the voltage would drop some and the rpms would drop as well. I pulled battery today and took it to the parts store and had it tested. It came back good. I reinstalled the battery, looked over connections under the dash on the new gauge monitor system, found nothing. I used the bleeder on the fuel rail to bleed some fuel out and nothing has changed. Still fires and dies after a few seconds. If I use the throttle and rev while it fires it will sputter and fire a little longer ultimately stalling out. It’s under warranty but it’s a 2.5 hour drive one way to the marine shop. Any ideas I’ll gladly try, other wise I’ll take another day off and drop it off. Thanks! Eric

Post your serial number of the motor or they won’t help. Bring it back to the place you bought it from and they should put you at the front of their list as it’s literally a few days old. You don’t want to mess with stuff when under <EDIT> warranty.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 09-14-2020 at 10:02 AM. Reason: No such thing.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

3. Member
    Ok thank you. S.N. 2B715313. Model Number 1117F131D. Model Description 115 ELPT. All new Top mount controls, system monitor gauge, and ignition. I’ll post whatever the dealership has to say, I’ll b calling in the morning. I don’t hear any type of fuel pump when I turn the key on. Not sure If I’m supposed to or not. The fuel lines disappear into the housing. Fuel looks to be about 3/4 full. Not sure if that’s a problem. Thanks for the tips Haus.

4. Member
    I’ll add it is a “pacemaker” reconditioned engine, with 3 year warranty.

5. Member
    Curious of there is a vent on the fuel tank that needs opened? Not familiar with how pontoons are setup. But had a friend buy a boat and run for sometime and start having the same style problem. Looked at it with him opened the vent and problem solved. Not sure if that is the case for you but simple to check.

6. Member
    lostone, I had similar problems with a boat years ago, it was my first check! And it wasn’t the problem, I shoved the hose down in a fuel can and still had the same results... I figured with a lift pump I should be able to try that. Nothing. Thanks for the idea tho!

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weekender11 View Post
    lostone, I had similar problems with a boat years ago, it was my first check! And it wasn’t the problem, I shoved the hose down in a fuel can and still had the same results... I figured with a lift pump I should be able to try that. Nothing. Thanks for the idea tho!
    Welcome to BBC!

If you would, please take a few moments to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

If your engine starved of fuel, simply sticking the fuel line in a jug of fuel will not permit it to start. There would be considerable air trapped in the injection system that must be purged in order for the engine to (again) start.

I would recommend that you check in your LOCAL area for an Authorized Mercury Dealer (you do not necessarily have to drag it back to the selling dealer- the ENGINE warranty is valid at any Authorized Dealer).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Problem solved! I was only pushing about 10psi of fuel pressure when turning it over. I assumed it was the high pressure fuel pump, and I was wrong. It was the low pressure fuel pump! They hooked a manual pump ball to the fuel line, and it would run fine as long as you pumped the ball. The fuel pressure would jump from 12-50 or so. They replaced the Low pressure fuel pump and it’s been running fine! The 3 year warranty has already paid off haha! Thanks for the help folks!

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor