Those with Z8’s

Recently purchased a 2013 Z8. Probably most stupid question I have ever asked. When loading boat on trailer, how much trailer is out of water? Top of fenders out of water? How much are bunks out of water or is any out of water? I have had this boat in water 4 times and I have had a heck of a time getting it on trailer. Been in too far, not far enough. Been all over the place. Actually put a scratch on boat today trying to load. I have had 3 javelins and a Triton and never had this much trouble. Any tips would be great. I would think fenders need to be little out of water to keep from floating over them if wind is blowing across ramp. Getting frustrated.

2. Dogfish_Jones
    Single axle = half way up the tire.
    Dual axle - I back mine in until I see the water touch the front step at the tires. The back tire is about 3/4under, front tire 1/2 under water.

It depends on the ramps angle. Period

when you are backing into the lake, do it slow enough and steady enough that you can see when the transom starts floating, once you have 1 to 2" of floating note that in relation to the fender or tire or whatever you can see that will not change.

then simply back that far in to load up. You can back in farther to wet all of the bunks but then pull forward to the spot I'm trying to get you to see.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    If you have metal fenders - what I have - I back in all the way to wet the bunks then pull out so that a few inches of the diamond plate (fender tops) are under the water, drive on. I fish a lot solo and this works great.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

Problem is angle has a lot to do with it. Normally the fender is about half covered.

I also practice dunking my trailer to get the carpet wet.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkmbjb502 View Post
    If you have metal fenders - what I have - I back in all the way to wet the bunks then pull out so that a few inches of the diamond plate (fender tops) are under the water, drive on. I fish a lot solo and this works great.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    I have the diamond plate fenders too. Does your trailer have 4 bunks together in middle. I am use to two long bunks in the middle making a big V to drive up in. Don’t have the V on this trailer. Posting a picture of trailer bunks. Not the best picture but only one I have at the moment.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lkmbjb502 View Post

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    May help if I add picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The bunks are the same as my 2015, the genders are different but I normally get about half of the top of my fender wet
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Member
    JDixon - yes, same bunks - I am pretty sure those bunks were the standard for at least 2011-2015. Again with my metal fenders I dump the trailer all the way in to wet the bunks, then pull out keeping first few inches wet (the back of the diamond plate towards rear of trailer) - somewhat regardless of how steep the ramp is (at least initially) - then drive on.

On steep ramps or short-steep ramps (the worst) - generally still follow the same process - then crank it up, if too much I will back the trailer in just a bit to ease the crank up. If I put the trailer in too deep on short/steep ramps I end up hitting the front roller or getting the nose trapped under it.

Again some of this what I do since I am loading solo a lot - but should work for you. I will say I have been running a Bravo XS 27p prop for the last couple of years and switched back to my Fury 3 - 25p - and I knew it before but man it makes power loading easier.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

10. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    When unloading once you get the boat trailer tires wet stop and unhook the bow strap. Back down real slow and pay close attention to the position of the trailer once the boat starts to slide back. Make a mental note of how deep the trailer was when this happens and when it comes time to load position the trailer a small amount more shallow than what was needed for it to slide back when you were unloading.

The best trailer depth can vary pending the angle of the ramp. Typically on more shallow ramps you have to back the trailer in deeper and on steep ramps you don't back in as far. Once you learn what your trailer/boat likes you can adjust the depth but the easiest way to learn the optimum depth is pay attention to when it starts to slide off when unloading and load just a tad more shallow that what it took to unload.