Gary and I fished Stockton in the remnants of the last hurricane... 8/27/2020

Picked up Gary at a little before 5am and headed toward Mutton Creek. We launched at the north ramp before the sun came up and headed up river. We hit several of our favorite spots but all we could catch was dinks. It was a dead calm day and the air was so hot and humid it felt like we were breathing lead. After an hour or so with only dinks we decided to head toward the main lake. On the way there the wind began to pick up and the clouds started rolling in. Naturally as the wind started picking up so did the bite but now we could see the rain coming. We could hear thunder in the distance and saw a few flashes of lightening but the fish were finally biting so we stayed with them. All of a sudden the storm was right on top of us so we decided to get our rain gear and life jackets on. I don't know how we did it with a 40 mph wind and 3 foot rollers coming at us but somehow both of us were able to get suited up. We ran toward the Hawker Point camp ground but when we got to the point fish were feeding on top so we stopped to try to pick up a few before we headed to the bank. On my third cast my lure hit the water but my line stayed suspended in mid air. I had read an article about this happening just before a lightening strike but I had never seen it with my own eyes before. Just then we saw the flash and heard the sizzle and the pop at the same instant and my line finally fell from the sky and landed on the water. I reeled in as fast as i could and told Gary to sit down. I jumped behind the wheel and drove the boat right up on to the bank. We hunkered down in the floor of the boat and let it blow over. Within moments the storm was gone and there was just a slight drizzle and a perfect breeze so we went back to fishing......The whole day changed completely. Now it was cool and breezy. We fished for another hour up around Hawker point but didn't do any good. We decided to hit one last spot and then call it day. The sky was getting brighter by the minute and the breeze picked up again. For some reason the bass finally put on the feed bag and we wound up catching several....We were just about ready to quit when all of a sudden the big whites showed up out of the blue. Man those things are ferocious. What an awesome way to end a crazy day..... Every trip is an adventure.

Last edited by luvdmymerc; 09-13-2020 at 03:50 PM.

2. Member
    Thanks for the pics and report !!