2004 Stratos Trailer brakes smoking

I have a 2004 Stratos, single axle trailer with surge brakes. I live 20 minutes from the lake, 45-55 MPH and a few stops, when I got there today both brakes were over heated and smoking. I let the brakes cool down, launched the boat and looked at the brakes, lines and didn't see anything wrong, reservoir was full. For the trip home, I opened the bleeder screws (it's a short trip and my 18ft doesn't even require trailer brakes as it was an option.) What does everyone think, brakes didn't release? What should I replace? I will pull the bearings and inspect them (regrease) and replace the brake pads.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL / Yamaha VF150

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Most likely issue is a kink or debris in a brake line or actuator that doesn’t release.

While the brakes were optional when purchased, they are required by law in VA.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    This is the end of my fishing season, as deer season starts 3 Oct. I put the boat up for the winter tonight after I got home. I have a swing away tongue, looks easy to unscrew the brake line in the back and take out the bolts to the tongue and then just look at it on the work bench. It may be easier to swap out the whole unit as its the original unit from 2004 verses trying to find out what's wrong with it and rebuilding/fixing it. I assume you can buy a whole assembled unit?

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Musky Mike View Post
    This is the end of my fishing season, as deer season starts 3 Oct. I put the boat up for the winter tonight after I got home. I have a swing away tongue, looks easy to unscrew the brake line in the back and take out the bolts to the tongue and then just look at it on the work bench. It may be easier to swap out the whole unit as its the original unit from 2004 verses trying to find out what's wrong with it and rebuilding/fixing it. I assume you can buy a whole assembled unit?
    You can buy the actuator for most trailers. Some Tie Down parts are hard to find.

You aren’t going to be able to tell much on the bench since you won’t have any back pressure to work against.
    nothing else matters.​

Do you make sure that the tongue is pulled all the way forward when you unhook? Did you reach under the tongue and push the brake release lever when you hooked up? You’re supposed to always do both of the above to reduce potential brake problems.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    To be honest, since new (2004) I just unhook and hook up and go...never had a problem until today. Next year I will start doing both.

Are you absolutely sure you didn't activate the break away cable? Look underneath tongue and make sure E brake is not pulled. It could have got yanked and you didn't know it.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

8. Member
    I checked, the break away cable was not activated. I want to thank everyone for their help.

9. Member
    With a swing tongue, there is a history of the flexible brake line getting kinked and closing off fluid passage.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    With a swing tongue, there is a history of the flexible brake line getting kinked and closing off fluid passage.
    I was wondering the same thing, I opened it really slow and checked it and it looked okay. I may bleed the brakes and drive it around the a bit and see.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I was wondering the same thing, I opened it really slow and checked it and it looked okay. I may bleed the brakes and drive it around the a bit and see.
    Bleeding isn’t going to help.
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Bleeding isn’t going to help.
    I opened the bleeders for the trip home to relieve the pressure and it blew all the fluid out. So I need to fill up the reservoir and bleed the brake and make sure there are no kinks I the hose.

13. Member
    I'd blame the flex line. If it was a car, I'd blame the master cylinder for having a scar on the cylinder wall, or somebody lenghtened the actuator rod and it doesn't uncover the fill/release port.

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I opened the bleeders for the trip home to relieve the pressure and it blew all the fluid out. So I need to fill up the reservoir and bleed the brake and make sure there are no kinks I the hose.
    Kinks in the flex hose or debris in the hard lines can act as a check valve. Fluid will flow through the line when the actuator pressurized it, but since it’s not pushed back when the actuator releases the brakes stay engaged.
    nothing else matters.​

15. Member
    Just an update to close this out. I finally got around to working on the brakes. Two things were bad, the reservoir/brake cylinder is full of rust and flex hose between the frame and axle is plugged or collapsed internally. I ordered a new reservoir/brake cylinder and a new flex hose. I also blew all the other brake lines with compressed air.

16. Member
    Good follow up, all can learn from others.

17. Member
    Thank you for the update.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support