Question Campers long term value

How many folks truly believe they continue to utilize there campers more than the first couple of seasons. I think to myself that I would like to have a camper/toyhauler. I am so tired of just being at home. I have a HD touring motorcycle and would like to travel to other areas to ride. I have grandkids that I could take at times. The wife and I have been tent camping several times and enjoy going camping. I just don't like having to put up with bad weather while in a tent. I got rid of my boat several years ago because life happens and all of a sudden the boat is just setting around and getting used maybe 5-6 times a year. Bought the bike so that maybe a couple hr ride could be some wind down time. Now it seems as though it is used mostly for a commuter on good days. Just wondering many folks think they get true value out of there rigs??

2. Banned
    Use ours 20-25 times a years for the last 5 years. Home away from home.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    We're on our 3rd camper in the past 15 years and we average at least 30 nights a year in ours. If you love camping and the outdoor lifestyle you'll make good use of it.

4. Member
    On my 9th year with a 5th wheel. Will camp 47 nights this year. Have a baby due in February, hoping to spend the majority of March and April in it. Had my daughter camping at 4 weeks.

5. Member
    When we lived in S CA we had a slide-in for 25+ years and used it bunches. To the desert for dirt riding, Baja for fishing at least once a year, our annual 2 week vacation all over the western states. Our 2 kids were raised in it. Since we moved to semi rural GA and have other interests it sat so it's long gone. We did buy a small tow behind for a trip to New England a couple of years ago, took the trip and it's for sale or trade for a class C to tow the boat.

6. Member
    I owned two different campers over a period of around ten years. I had them permanently spotted at three different campgrounds on Kentucky Lake about an hour and a half from my house during that period. They were actually to big for my truck to tow and I had to hire them moved when needed. Were it not for the attraction of fishing at KY Lake, I would not have owned one.

Are you retired or work full time? I’ve had two toy haulers, one 35 feet and the other just under 45 feet. We used both a decent amount and really enjoyed them but as the kids got older (teenagers) they didn’t enjoy it near as much as they did when they were younger. I sold it and while at times I miss it overall it was the right decision. Just make sure you have the right truck if getting anything of any size in a toy hauler, they are typically very nose heavy.

Just do you’re research and pay zero attention to the MSRP, it’s a joke on an RV. I wouldn’t buy any RV unless it’s around 35% +/- 2% off MSRP. Most used ones are way overpriced due to people paying way too much and depreciation. I bought my first toy hauler used and it was like brand new, only used a couple of times. The people owed over ten brand more than it was worth and had not been able to sell it. I made them an offer, stuck to it, and eventually bought it. They had to take money out of their retirement to pay off the difference.

Another option to consider is to check out rv rentals that offer delivery and set up at the site you're visiting. https://rvshare.com/ and https://www.outdoorsy.com/rv-search?...QaAoRNEALw_wcB

This works great for me. All the comforts of home waiting for me at camp ground, no set up or take down hassle at trip's end. Plus, by renting, I don't have to worry about where to store camper, maintenance/repair costs, property taxes, depreciation, or insurance.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

9. Member
    We have a slide-in. Bought it for next to nothing from a dealer who only sold TTs, and took it as a trade-in on something bigger from someone who barely used it. In additional to occasional camping trips, we use it a lot for day trips with and without the boat. We call it the Mobile Command Center. Camper slides in the back, boat attaches to the hitch, we’re ready to go. Wherever we go, we have a bathroom, kitchen and a warm/cool spot to hang out or take a nap.

With everyone going back to work, and kids going back to school, I expect there will be some great deals available on campers this fall.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drothgeb View Post
    We have a slide-in. Bought it for next to nothing from a dealer who only sold TTs, and took it as a trade-in on something bigger from someone who barely used it. In additional to occasional camping trips, we use it a lot for day trips with and without the boat. We call it the Mobile Command Center. Camper slides in the back, boat attaches to the hitch, we’re ready to go. Wherever we go, we have a bathroom, kitchen and a warm/cool spot to hang out or take a nap.

With everyone going back to work, and kids going back to school, I expect there will be some great deals available on campers this fall.
    In todays mentality of minimal down payment and long term low monthly payments most will be too upside down to sell

We use ours as a weekend getaway. Usually to a state park literally 15 minutes from my house. Most people don't get it, but it's our way of getting away. It's not about the destination for us, it's more of just being out there. Id rather spend my limited time camping instead of driving to get to where I can camp.
    Sheldon Linhart
    Excelsior Springs, MO
    1995 Dynatrak /Yamaha Pro V150

12. Member
    We considered getting a travel trailer, we camp maybe 20 nights a year as a family (my boys and I another ~30 with the Scout Troop, but that's always in tents). Once you factor in purchase price, maintenance, additional fuel to tow, and site cost (unless you're using free-to-camp land), it's cheaper to rent a cabin. We can rent a cabin, most allow us to bring the dog, and we can still tow a boat if we want to. We have kids so we usually stay at KOAs and Jellystones - which are among the most expensive places to camp - and we're still coming out ahead of owning an RV. If you camp more nights than us and you plan on staying at either free (public land / Interior Department) or lower-priced campgrounds, then an RV may be a better option. If you're planning a multiple-stop, multiple-week trip, then an RV may be better as well. When the kids are grown and we're retired - we may get a small travel trailer if we find we're still camping enough.
    John

2016 Tracker Pro Guide V16 WT w/2019 Mercury 90 4 Stroke and Terrova 55
    Garmin 93SV UHD (Bow), Garmin 73SV UHD (Console), Garmin Livescope (Bow on Fishing Specialties Bowducer)
    Dakota 100AH TM Battery, Ionic 125AH Cranking/House Battery;
    Dual Power-Pole Micros

13. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfuda View Post
    We considered getting a travel trailer, we camp maybe 20 nights a year as a family (my boys and I another ~30 with the Scout Troop, but that's always in tents). Once you factor in purchase price, maintenance, additional fuel to tow, and site cost (unless you're using free-to-camp land), it's cheaper to rent a cabin. We can rent a cabin, most allow us to bring the dog, and we can still tow a boat if we want to. We have kids so we usually stay at KOAs and Jellystones - which are among the most expensive places to camp - and we're still coming out ahead of owning an RV. If you camp more nights than us and you plan on staying at either free (public land / Interior Department) or lower-priced campgrounds, then an RV may be a better option. If you're planning a multiple-stop, multiple-week trip, then an RV may be better as well. When the kids are grown and we're retired - we may get a small travel trailer if we find we're still camping enough.
    Cost is secondary to many things though. The best thing about the RV is that you are home wherever you are. Having your stuff with you, sleeping in your own bed on your own pillow.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

14. Member
    How much you use it will depend on your habits and if it is not a pain for you to keep everything working. I found we traded the quick grab-and-go tent camping experience for, tire, roof, gas line, water, line, grey tank, black tank, water heater, refrigerator.... maintenance, plus needing a place to store it when we weren't using it. Then there's winterizing.. We do stay dry now when it rains.... There was more to maintaining one than we thought when we got our first RV.

One thing we found was that buying a (new) RV is not the same as buying a new car. Things may work when you leave the lot but may soon quit (..or fall off) once you get in the woods. The dealer will eventually tell you that fact after you sign the papers. They assemble them fast. It will be good if you are handy with fixing things. Getting an RV repaired by a dealer means missing an entire camping season waiting for them to get around to fixing it.

Maybe not the answer you are looking for, but as some here have eluded to, it will all be worth it if you get out of it what you are looking for and don't mind the effort and cost it takes to get there. It seems to be a different experience for each person.
    Last edited by BackLash625; 08-12-2021 at 01:11 PM.
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

15. Member
    I concur with CatFan, nice to have your own stuff, as stated especially the bedding which is very important these days with all the diseases out there. I have owned 7 total: 3 toy haulers and 4 campers, all small, medium, and large sized ones. I had 3 at one time but down to 1 now. Since my wife passed I only go camping one time every year to South Central Kentucky on the mighty Cumberland River. I stay 10 nights the last 10 days of September and am good with that.

16. Member
    On 3rd RV. Try and go once a month.
    Prices are way up right now and some are still worth what they were new.

17. Member
    56 days in the spring and 56 days in the fall trailer is on a lake. This year 56 days fishing last Marc/April. 10 days this May traveling in Tennessee/ just got back from 8 days in Racine, WI, Chicago area. Leaving Aug 29 for 30 day trip to OK/KS/CO/UT/AZ , Oct 1-31 back on the lake for fishing. Trailer is my lake house and hotel room.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like you get good use out of yours!!!