Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

group 27 TM batteries

I'm needing to replace my group size 27 TM batteries after 6 years. Any feedback on the Costco interstate marine battery? my trays won't go much bigger then 27 size and they push my boat around well when the batteries were fresh.

I have easy access to Costco, Pep Boys, Walmart, Advanced Auto parts, O-reilly
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

2. Member
    The Duracell AGMs at Sams Club are hard to beat.

Cut the side of the battery trays out to allow for group 29,30,31's .... If the compartment has room. You will be buying extra years of service from the batteries as they wont get drained as far as a 27 series. The more you leave in the batteries between charges, The better. Deep discharges reduce lifecycles.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    I will have to study the dimensions when I remove the current batteries. I've gotten 6.5 years out of ac delco traditional batteries and they still function reasonable. I'm not sure I want to carry more weight then I need.
    2024 Phoenix 818

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Cut the side of the battery trays out to allow for group 29,30,31's .... If the compartment has room. You will be buying extra years of service from the batteries as they wont get drained as far as a 27 series. The more you leave in the batteries between charges, The better. Deep discharges reduce lifecycles.
    i got my flashlight and evaluated my box. my trays appear able to handle a group 31.
    2024 Phoenix 818

6. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    If you got six years out of your trollers I'd get the same kind for the replacement. It don't get much better than that.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

7. Member
    I only fish about 20-25 days a year and typically for just 6 hours. I'm sure that helped with battery life. My outlook is retirement and I expect to do a bit better then 20 days on the water.
    2024 Phoenix 818

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsa View Post
    I will have to study the dimensions when I remove the current batteries. I've gotten 6.5 years out of ac delco traditional batteries and they still function reasonable. I'm not sure I want to carry more weight then I need.
    If it aint broke dont fix it. I run group 27's never had a problem,, I am a sunup to noon fisherman though and dont fish nasty weather. Aince I added the 3rd battery when I went to a force. seems like they are showing green within an hour of charging. Force motor is great. When these die, I am actually considering 3 group 24's unless I get a wild hair and order lithiums.

9. Member
    I use the Costco group 27 batteries in my boat with a 24 volt Maxum trolling motor. My last set hung in there for seven years. I replaced them with same.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    If you got six years out of your trollers I'd get the same kind for the replacement. It don't get much better than that.
    Agree totally so I would stick with the 27's. Six years is fantastic. Not sure who made the batteries for Delco six years ago, but, possibly JCI, the maker of Interstate. If so, I would stick with JCI (Interstate, AutoZone, Costco). Otherwise, East Penn (Sam's Club, O'Reilly, Batteries Plus) batteries are very good also, but, smaller Reserve Capacity in their group 27.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

11. #FRB
    Yeah, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I've had decent luck out of JCI. Got a pair of their 24DC's from Walmart in my boat to save weight but will probably do 29's next time. If retirement is close and you think you'll be fishing more often and harder I'd put the biggest batteries you can fit in there.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    The problem is that after 6 years, the same store might sell a battery with the same name but it will be a completely different battery made by a different company.

Interstates are the same as Wal Mart Everstarts. If you want the same battery, the Everstarts are usually cheaper though that may not be the case for a Costco battery.

Agree that you should try to fit group 29/31s if at all possible. Even though you had great luck with your previous set, the difference in capacity and longevity (for exactly the reasons 21XDC mentions) are significant for 29/31s over 27s.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

14. Member
    The Group 31 Duracell AGM's run small.

15. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    I posted this a couple weeks ago...

After a great trip on Saturday, it was finally time to replace my Everstart 27DCs... pulled them out of the bow yesterday.

You can see the date stamps on them are 8/12... They have provided right at eight years of dependable service; 'crappy' little 8-amp Guest charger and all.

And yep, I'll be replacing them with Everstart 27DCs.
    Who controls John Gill?

16. Member
    8 years makes me want to go putt a little distilled water in my 6.5 year olds and see if I can milk them a bit longer:)

I'm leaning toward a group 31 and traditional wet. I have an AMG battery as my cranker and it failed me when I went down to Florida. I had left a ac switch on with nothing running. Ran the battery so low that neither I nor Batteries plus could revive it. Kind of soured me on AMG batteries a bit even though I like the totally sealed battery and the drain down was my fault.
    2024 Phoenix 818

17. Member
    U can get life out of a regular battery just same as a AGM one. Buy cheap and save money. Unless ur fishing 300 day’s a year it doesn’t matter.

18. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    I posted this a couple weeks ago...

After a great trip on Saturday, it was finally time to replace my Everstart 27DCs... pulled them out of the bow yesterday.

You can see the date stamps on them are 8/12... They have provided right at eight years of dependable service; 'crappy' little 8-amp Guest charger and all.

And yep, I'll be replacing them with Everstart 27DCs.
    Did you clean those before taking the pic?
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

19. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Did you clean those before taking the pic?
    Think I wiped the tops off after checking the water levels about a month back (around the time I noticed them getting weaker)... It's a pretty crud-free environment under the front deck.
    Who controls John Gill?

20. Member
    Get to your local Caterpillar dealer and get them, I can look up the P/N tomorrow. Same price as the 'premium' batteries but a ton better just google the weight difference and no BS warranty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast