New Vortex grease caps don't fit!

I just installed the Vortex galvanized hub/rotor combo with new spindles on my rear axle. Got everything installed, topped it off with Lucas Oil grease, and then went to put the plastic Vortex dust cap on. It is the newer model cap that was sent to me looks like this:

Well, it doesn't fit. The threads on this cap are coarse whereas the hub is fine. I tried and tried and tried. It won't go on there without cross threading and eating into the plastic threads. So I borrowed one of the the older style Vortex caps, that looks like this

from my front hub (which I converted in Jan 2020), and it fit just fine. Looking at the threads on the second cap, they look different from the threads on the first cap. The first one looks coarse and the second looks like fine threads.

So I thought that I got a bad batch of caps. I went to a different supplier and ordered the Vortex 48335V caps (second picture above) which corresponds to Dexter part number 81143. The website showed the second picture and the 48335V part number. But when they arrived, they were the first style cap above---and again the threads simply don't fit.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how this happens on Vortex/Dexter's end? The threads simply don't match. The first cap won't seat even halfway to the O ring, whereas the second cap seats easily and perfectly all the way down to the O ring. Maybe the new hub/rotor is a 2019 version that's been sitting on the shelf for a year. But shouldn't there be some 2019 caps to match it somewhere?

Secondly, even if this is a manufacturing blunder by Dexter, it seems the "V" caps above are being replaced by the "Dexter" caps above, so the older model caps (that will fit!) are impossible for me to locate. I can find the V caps for sale, but unless I can talk to a human who can actually touch the part to tell me if it the V vs Dexter style cap, I can't be assured it will be correct. And I've already chased this ghost for two weeks now.

Any ideas on where I (for sure) can get some of the V style caps?
    Last edited by cdc2010; 09-13-2020 at 02:59 PM.
    ----
    Ranger z21
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Lowrance HDS Live 12 and HDS Touch 9
    Ultrex 112 lb

2. Member
    I had the same issue a month ago. I was able to get to cap started straight then used 18” channel locks to turn it in. Was going on a fishing trip the next day so I forced it figuring the plastic cap would’nt mess up the metal threads. Be interested in how you make out as I’m sure if I take off the cap it won’t be going back in.

Looks like they're two different part numbers, and one by Vortex and the other by Tie Down Eng. I would assume you'd have to order the one for whoever made your hubs.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    I thought tiedown is vortex

5. Member
    Dexter bought out Tie Down Engineering recently so there is no more Tie Down apart from Dexter.

Ordering TDE part #48335V will get you the Dexter Vortex part shown in the second pic. I have checked this with a dozen vendors. The "new" Dexter Vortex cap replaces the Tie Down Vortex cap.

The issue is that the threads don't match. This was confirmed today by someone very knowledgeable with Dexter Marine. Evidently Dexter is "streamlining" the parts across the different companies they have bought and my issue is a result of that streamlining not going so well.
    ----
    Ranger z21
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Ultrex 112 lb

6. Member
    Here’s an update and work around, in case it helps someone:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....1#post11385803
    ----
    Ranger z21
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Ultrex 112 lb

7. Member
    Had the same problem, here's my thread

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=#post11780578

I received new caps (April 2021) from Dexter after warranty claim and it appears they have fixed the cap issue.

8. Member
    Well, that would certainly explain my problem. I didn't realize that Dexter bought out Tie Down Engineering and are trying to streamline parts. My boat has been at the shop for a month due to my mechanic having the vortex hubs on order and they have been on backorder thus far ..... sounds like Dexter cannot make them fast enough.

9. Member
    I just bought new hubs cause I thought old caps were in available! Someone needs to update this thread with correct part numbers.

10. Member
    So you ordered the caps directly from Dexter? Do you have a part & phone number. I looked on their site and could not find the caps. Thanks

It is nerve wracking but they will go on.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115