New Vortex grease caps don't fit

I just installed the Vortex galvanized hub/rotor combo with new spindles on my rear axle. Got everything installed, topped it off with Lucas Oil grease, and then went to put the plastic Vortex dust cap on. It is the newer model cap that was sent to me looks like this:

vortex d.jpg

Well, it doesn't fit. The threads on this cap are coarse whereas the hub is fine. I tried and tried and tried. It won't go on there without cross threading and eating into the plastic threads. So I borrowed one of the the older style Vortex caps, that looks like this

vortex v.jpg
    from my front hub (which I converted in Jan 2020), and it fit just fine. Looking at the threads on the second cap, they look different from the threads on the first cap. The first one looks coarse and the second looks like fine threads.

So I thought that I got a bad batch of caps. I went to a different supplier and ordered the Vortex 48335V caps (second picture above) which corresponds to Dexter part number 81143. The website showed the second picture and the 48335V part number. But when they arrived, they were the first style cap above---and again the threads simply don't fit.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how this happens on Vortex/Dexter's end? The threads simply don't match. The first cap won't seat even halfway to the O ring, whereas the second cap seats easily and perfectly all the way down to the O ring. Maybe the new hub/rotor is a 2019 version that's been sitting on the shelf for a year. But shouldn't there be some 2019 caps to match it somewhere?

Secondly, even if this is a manufacturing blunder by Dexter, it seems the "V" caps above are being replaced by the "Dexter" caps above, so the older model caps (that will fit!) are impossible for me to locate. I can find the V caps for sale, but unless I can talk to a human who can actually touch the part to tell me if it the V vs Dexter style cap, I can't be assured it will be correct. And I've already chased this ghost for two weeks now.

Any ideas on where I (for sure) can get some of the V style caps?
    Last edited by cdc2010; 09-13-2020 at 02:58 PM.
    ----
    Ranger z21
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Lowrance HDS Live 12 and HDS Touch 9
    Ultrex 112 lb

2. Member
    Following. Let us know how this works out for future members repairs. Hopefully you will get to the bottom of this conflict soon.

Looks like they're two different part numbers, and one by Vortex and the other by Tie Down Eng. I would assume you'd have to order the one for whoever made your hubs.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    Dexter bought out Tie Down Engineering recently so there is no more Tie Down apart from Dexter.

Ordering TDE part #48335V will get you the Dexter Vortex part shown in the second pic. I have checked this with a dozen vendors. The "new" Dexter Vortex cap replaces the Tie Down Vortex cap.

The issue is that the threads don't match. This was confirmed today by someone very knowledgeable with Dexter Marine. Evidently Dexter is "streamlining" the parts across the different companies they have bought and my issue is a result of that streamlining not going so well.
    ----
    Ranger z21
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Ultrex 112 lb

5. Member
    Is this what you need? https://www.amazon.ca/Sierra-P-IMPEL...18908614&psc=1

Looks like they worked for some and not for others based on the reviews. Not sure if thats considered a coarse or fine thread in the pictures
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

6. Member
    That’s the part I want but from the reviews it sounds like some folks are getting the newer iteration of the cap (like I did), and the threads aren’t matching their hubs.
    ----
    Ranger z21
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Ultrex 112 lb

7. Member
    Just to update in case this helps anyone else: this is a confirmed issue that is known by Dexter Axle since they bought Tie Down Engineering recently. It is not clear what (if anything) is being done to resolve the issue of the threads on the Dexter Vortex caps not matching the threads on the hub.

In the meantime, the workaround I've found is to get some Turbo Lube caps (from Tie Down Engineering), part number is TDE 48399 (some put an A or GA at the end of the part number). I got mine from here:

https://www.easternmarine.com/turbo-...r-plug-48399ga

turbo lube.jpg

These fit and work. In fact, they may be an even better solution than the intended Vortex caps since you can remove the rubber plug to access the zerk fitting rather than having to take the cap off. Two trips to the lake thus far and no sign of water intrusion.
    Last edited by cdc2010; 09-19-2020 at 11:07 AM.
    ----
    Ranger z21
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Ultrex 112 lb

8. Banned
    Just bought a new trailer this year with Vortex hubs. I believe I was told the caps are reverse threaded. Could this be the problem ?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marlake View Post
    Just bought a new trailer this year with Vortex hubs. I believe I was told the caps are reverse threaded. Could this be the problem ?
    Good question. I just went and checked and it did not resolve the issue for me. Admittedly, mine are replacement hubs and thus could be an older design than your new ones.
    ----
    Ranger z21
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Ultrex 112 lb

10. Member
    Theres a guy on the nitro page that sells a really nice cnc machined aluminum cap to replace these cheap plastic ones..
    2019 Phoenix 721 ProXp
    2019-250 H.P. Mercury ProXs 4 Stroke V8 Serial# 2B531797

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billwwar View Post
    Theres a guy on the nitro page that sells a really nice cnc machined aluminum cap to replace these cheap plastic ones..
    I contacted him, but he said they weren't selling them now. :-(
    ----
    Ranger z21
    Mercury Pro XS 250
    Ultrex 112 lb

12. Member
    Has anyone still had this issue. The Eastern Marine turbo Lube caps are out of stock. I kno old thread. Long shot